BladeSystem - General
1752812 Members
5597 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Is passthru compatible with Virtual Connect?

alex5

Is passthru compatible with Virtual Connect?

Hi,

I have a C7000 (BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure G2 - 507014-B21).

This C7000 is in Production and contains 8 BL460G7 (603718-B21), 2 SAN SWITCH (B-series 8/12c - 489864-001), 4 Virtual Connect (HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module - 447047-B21).

2 slots are available in the rear side of the C7000 and I would like to add 1 pass-thru (HP 1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru Module for c-Class BladeSystem - 406740-B21)

I would like to know:

- Is it possible to add 1 pass thru when there are already 4 Virtual Connect running?

- Is it possible to add only 1 pass thru (i do not need 2)?

- Is there an impact on the running blade/switches, when inserting a new pass thru?

Thanks in advance for you answers,

4 REPLIES 4
Holger G
HPE Pro

Re: Is passthru compatible with Virtual Connect?

Hi,

yes, you can use the Pass-Thru Module with the Virtual Connect Modules.

And you can use a single Pass-Thru Module.

It can be added online in general.

I assume you have the 4 Virtual Connect Modules in bays 1-4.
So if you want to add a single Pass-Thru Module to bay 5, this module would connect to first port of any Mezzanine card in slot 2 of the BL460G7 servers.

Kind Regards

Holger

I am an HP employee.
Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! Star.

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -
Holger G
HPE Pro

Some references:

HP ProLiant BL460c G7 Server Blade Installation Instructions
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02498050/c02498050.pdf

Installation Manual for the HP 1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru Module:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00700737/c00700737.pdf

The following page lists these and many other available HP BladeSystem Technical Resources:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-tech-installing.html

- I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise -
Hariom
HPE Pro

Please comfirm in which Interconnect bay # Virtual connect and FC interconnect module is installed?

if VC are installed in Bay 1,2,5,6 & you are planning to add Pass-thru in bay # 7 or 8, and if you Mezz2 card is ethernet based, then you might end up getting an I/O Keying error. because Mezz 2 is mapped with Interconnect bay 5,6,7,8. It's recommended to install same type of module in Interconnect bay 5,6,7,8.

-----------------

I am an HP employee.
Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! Star.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

As stated I believe the rear Interconnect bay which is  free are 1 and 2, if so;

These are only two bays reserved for 1GB Ethernet Interconnect Modules.

And pass-thru is a passive device I believe it should not effect any server (but in my experience at times I have noticed on the field the entire enclosure restarts during implementation).

You can use only one Module and can be inserted in either 1 or 2 Interconnect bay.

Note: the in-built NIC 1 and 2 adapters on server is mapped to these Interconnect bay, so if those NICs are not in use you can use with Ethernet Pas-thru Modules.

Thanks,

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo