5775 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

VM-FEX on HP Bladesystem bl460c gen 8 servers

Jey10
Occasional Advisor

VM-FEX on HP Bladesystem bl460c gen 8 servers

Hi,

I have 16 proliant bl460c gen 8 blade servers connected to a nexus fabric (5500) with B22 FEX switches.

I Have found that there is a FEX-ADAPTER that exists :  HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 554FLB FlexibleLOM

But I want to know if it's possible to use VM-FEX with this model. I have 5 ESX and would like to use it. I don't find the answer, just read that B22 supports VM-FEX, so I hope VM-FEX cen be used with these servers.

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: VM-FEX on HP Bladesystem bl460c gen 8 servers

Did you already read the HP ProLiant BL460c Gen 8 Server Blade's QuickSpecs here?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Jey10
Occasional Advisor

Yes, that's here that I've found the FEX-ADAPTER 554-FLB. But I'm asking if there is a way to have this for an ESX .

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, sorry...you meant in terms of Device Driver and Software for - as example - VMware vSphere 6?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Jey10
Occasional Advisor

It coulb be that. But I don't know very well the flexible adapter. I understand I can use it for a server with windows 2012 (for example), and it provides 2 ports 10G with 4 virtual NIC by physical port.

But I try to find if it exists for an ESX, like a VM-FEX described here : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/borderless-networks/advanced-services/whitepaper_c11-727581.html 

Does the adapter you mentionned work with an ESX and provides the features of a VM-FEX, by replacing the vSwitch?

If yes, is it compatible with a B22 switch?

Regards,