4995 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL460c G7 - NC553i/m - vSphere - Auto negotiation

RemyZ
Advisor

BL460c G7 - NC553i/m - vSphere - Auto negotiation

Hi All,

We have spend quite some time installing vSphere 4.1 on a BL 460c G7 blade with NC553 NIC's in it (both NC553i and NC553m). And everytime it fails at the point where the ESX host profile is applied, due to the fact that one of the vmnics is not capable of setting auto negotiation. The weird thing is though: after a reboot, usually another vmnic reports the problem.

It is not clear what causes the problem. Is it firmware? Network settings? NIC settings?

We certainly could use some help in finding the solution to this problem.

The driver which we installed was downloaded from the VMware website. Version 4.0.306.0. Firmware is 4.0.493.0.

Thanks

Remy

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
4 REPLIES 4
RemyZ
Advisor

We opened a case with HP, but no solution yet. So if someone recognises the problem and knows the solution... let me know.

In the meantime we installed a BL460c G6 with NC332 NIC's in the same enclosure, installed ESX from the same source and applied to same host profile: no problems at all. No complains about auto-negotiation. We rebootedthe blade 3 times and in all cases we could apply the host profile without problems.

So I guess it's G7 or NC553 specific.

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
swilmann
Occasional Visitor

I am having the exact same issue with G7 and 553i it works when setup manually.

but i can apply the host profile. 

when you look at the nics from VC you can only select 10000mb and nothing else. but they are set to nothing.

if that makes any sense

swilmann
Occasional Visitor

swilmann
Occasional Visitor

i worked out a way around this.

I removed the physical nic configuration from the host profile. and it works like a treat.