1748136 Members
3550 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Determine Physical Disks | BL460c G8

vijish
Occasional Contributor

Determine Physical Disks | BL460c G8

I have a BL460c G8 Blade running on SUSE Linux. It has 2  900 GB disks installed in it. The disks are seen as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb in the machine. 

Is there a way to determine which disks is what. I mean some command or log entry that suggests sda is the disk on slot 1 etc .

P.S, This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to HP BladeSystem Server Blades. - Hp Forum moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Hello vijish,

SDA in slot 1 and sdb in slot 2 is, what I remember, too. Unfortunatedly, I acttually do not have access to a HP Bladeserver to verify this and I'm not very fluent in SUSE.

If you have access to the System Management Homepage at https://<server address>:2381 , you can login - probably as root - and check there.

If your disks are not mirrored and you have physical access to the server,you capoud read from one of the disks (e.g. using dd). Than, you will see, which disk is accesses.

I hope, this can help you answer your question.

Bye

Ralf

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> I have a BL460c G8 Blade running on SUSE Linux. It has 2  900 GB disks installed in it. The disks are seen as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb in the machine. 

Since the controller in this system can't do HBA mode you probably probably have 2 logical drives, either as RAID1 or RAID0, maybe across both disks. Check your RAID setup.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
vijish
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for the advices. I checked more on the RAID setting in the Array Configuration Utility  and got more details. The disks are placed in RAID 0  and I see they are in logical volumes named as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. hpacucli is also a pretty useful tool for linux. 

Another point, Considering the blade BL460c Gen 8 to be placed vertical (The way it would be normaly placed in a c7000 Enclosure). How are the Disk slots numbered. Is the disk on left slot 1 and on the right slot 2 . I believe this should be common on all proliant blade systems (Correct me if I am wrong).

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The user guide always has a section component identification.

The left disk is 2, right disk is 1.

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 Server Blade User Guide -.jpg

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!