4360 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SUM 7.2 Baselines, Nodes & Node Groups gone after restart

Skeetneet
Occasional Collector

HP SUM 7.2 Baselines, Nodes & Node Groups gone after restart

Hello everyone,

I've been using HP SUM to online update the firmware and drivers our VMware ESXi 5.5 U2 hosts, and it works like a charm.

The only thing I'm running against is the fact that the program is not able to save my database for later or automatically start as a Windows service. Every time when I log out, the database of HP SUM is empty and I have to start adding baselines and nodes all over again. There seemed to be someone else on this forum who had the same kind of issue.

Unfortunately, there was not solution to the problem in that thread, so I'm hoping anyone can help out on this one.

When running the hpsum.bat file to open HP SUM, it passes a lot of parameters to the program while starting it, including which system architecture (x86 or x64) is being used. However, the HP SUM database is always stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2\HPSUM (same as %TEMP% of the userprofile). When running the application again, the inventory is gone and there is not central config file (like hpsum.ini) where you can define a central location for your database.

Also, when trying to create a Windows service of this process with sufficient rights with the following command:

sc create "HP Smart Update Manager" binPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\HPSUM\x64\hpsum_service_x64.exe"

It creates a service, but the service is not able to start (does not respond in a timely fashion).

So the question rises if HP has provided the product in this way by design or that there is very little known about this. I could also image they did it this way so you'd have to buy HP OneView, which also uses HP SUM as update mechanism, but cán keep a record of the nodes and baselines.

Has anyone managed to successfully create a service and get this to work in the way I described?

Thanks in advance for your response.

3 REPLIES 3
mdacslave
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP SUM 7.2 Baselines, Nodes & Node Groups gone after restart

I have the same issue and have a ticket open. It's been several days since I heard back from HP although I send an email asking about the status each morning.  Can't seem to get help on this issue. For me restart means I get out of the software and back in and the nodes and groups are gone. I don't have to reboot the entire server for the problem to show up.

Skeetneet
Occasional Collector

Hi mdacslave,

Did HP manage to give you an answer to this question in the meantime?

MarkU
Advisor

I too would like to find a way to keep the node data persistent