4549 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Have a blade (BL460c G7) talk to another blade in the enclosure

JeremyNguyen
Occasional Advisor

Have a blade (BL460c G7) talk to another blade in the enclosure

Hello,

I would like to know how I can create a private network between two blades (blade 2 and blade 3) both are running ESXi 5.0. I would like vmnic1 of each blade to talk to each other.

Thank You!

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

It depends on what type of network I/O module(s) you have in the blade enclosure.

If you have a NIC Pass-Through module in the appropriate slot for vmnic1, you'll need to install a physical cross-connect cable between the appropriate ports. But if you have a blade switch or a Virtual Connect module, and both blades' ports map to the same I/O module, you'll basically have to choose a VLAN number that is not used elsewhere on your network, assign the appropriate ports of blade 2 and 3 to that VLAN, and _not_ assign that VLAN to any uplink ports at all.

MK
JeremyNguyen
Occasional Advisor

Hello Matti_Kurkela,

Thank you for the reply. The enclosure has  two HP 1/10GB-F VC-Enet Module (one in Interconnect Bay 1 and another in Interconnect Bay 2). Bay 1 port 1 is used as my uplink for all the blades. How should I go about on Virtual Connect to have vmnic1 of blade 2 and blade 3 talk to each other? Where should this crossover cable be connected?

Thank You!

Jeremy