BladeSystem - General
1748074 Members
5186 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hp Smart Array SAS/SATA event notification - not getting failed drive message in System event lo

KJohnsonCDA
Occasional Advisor

Hp Smart Array SAS/SATA event notification - not getting failed drive message in System event log

Testing out Server 2012 R2 - using the HP Smart Array SAS/SATA event notification service 6.34.0.64

Server is BL460C G7.

Smart Array P410i Controller (Media Driver)

Pulling a drive on the blade server does not result in any events in the system log by the CISSESRV. 

The only events in the System log for the CISSESRV are startup and shutdown notices.

The array configuration utility does show that the drive has failed, and rebuilding if I replace the drive, albeit without any other notices.

I've tried updating via smart update manager and using the HP FTP repository - no difference.

1 REPLY 1
KJohnsonCDA
Occasional Advisor

Re: Hp Smart Array SAS/SATA event notification - not getting failed drive message in System event lo

The Server 2012 R2 default driver for the SAS/Sata controller doesn't include bits for talking to the CISSESRV service.  The driver shows up as Smart Array E200i Controller (Media Driver) in device manager - this driver is using HPAMDSYS.sys

The HP SAS/SATA driver isn't updating with HPSUM - probably due to OS version checks.

Manually installing the driver in device manager works for servers with a GUI.  I can't figure out how to force the HP driver to install on a core or Hyper-V only version of the OS.