4231 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Problem with blade C7000 and SAN connection

marc3k
Collector

Problem with blade C7000 and SAN connection

Hello,

We just received our used C7000 and i'm having some problem to plug it with our san. We have a Dell san, 2 fiber controler and 4 ports per controller. In our C7000, I have to Hp 4Gb VC-FC Module.

I create 2 san frabric: one per module with 2 port assing in each san fabric. Each san fabric is connect to one controller on the san. In my connector status, I have an INIT-FAILURE for all of them.

I also create a server profile to assing the fabric to a blade but still doing the same thing. I switch the gbic, try with other model and it did not fix the problem.

Do you have an idea?

Marc

3 REPLIES 3
marcelkoedijk
Frequent Advisor

Re: Problem with blade C7000 and SAN connection

Hi,

• The 4Gb VCFC cannot direct attached to your storage controllers. You need dedicates SAN Switches.
  •  You need also Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules for Management (VCM is emmbeded in ethernet module)
  • Also not that some 4GB VC FC switches are obsolete in virtual connect firmware 4.1x. See Virtual Connect Release Notes.
  •  Use only 4GB FC SFP's that are listed in de Virtual Connect 4GB VC FC quickspecs
  •  Your SAN switch must be NPIV capable and  NPIV must enabled for all ports to the VC modules.

IMPORTANT:

Beginning with VC 4.10, the HP 4Gb VC-FC Module (409513-B21) is no longer supported.

see also the configuration guide "virtual connect fiberchannel cookbook".

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01702940/c01702940.pdf

marc3k
Collector

Hello,

I have the VC FC switch is the model 409513-B21 running 4.10. I'm using the original SPF from HP. I have also tested the SPF in a switch without succes. I'm not sure if the switch is running NPIP. That could be my problem?

Marc

marcelkoedijk
Frequent Advisor

Hi marc,

The 409513-B21 module is NOT SUPPORTED in VC Firmware 4.10, please downgrade VC Firmware to 3.75.

•  What SAN Switches do you use, be sure they support NPIV, and NPIV is configured on the port
  •  SFP is only supported for the device he's maked for, you can't use a HP VC SFP in your SAN Switch
  1. Do you also have Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules?
  2. What SAN switch you have, do you have a productnumber and firmware revision?
  3. What is the partnumber of the SFP in your SAN switch?
  4. What is the partnummber of the SFP in your VC switch?

See also the VC 4.10 release notes,page 4:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03923055-3%257CdocLocale%253D&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Marcel