1752822 Members
4356 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant BL460c G7 enclosure compatibility

rektor22

Proliant BL460c G7 enclosure compatibility

Hello.

I'd like to ask whether HP Proliant BL460c Blade can fit into non-HP-BladeServer enclosure, or it works only with HP blade server. I've been looking for this information but until now, no satisfying ansewr.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

No way.

The connectors between the blade and the enclosure are proprietary and there is no pin-out standard.

Even if you could make it physically fit, the next problem would be the proprietary inter-component communication protocols: for example, the HP c-class blades must declare their model, configuration and power consumption information to the enclosure OA before the OA allows the blade to power on fully.

A blade of different manufacturer in a HP enclosure would not be able to identify itself correctly. If it would attempt to power up without permission, the OA would at the very least detect it as a faulty blade and would send a fault alert. If the OA-controllable e-fuses are located within the enclosure (and not in the blade itself), the OA might even switch off power for that blade slot.

MK
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Whatever the " non-HP-BladeServer enclosure" is, I would guess if you take a single short view you will probably see it cannot physically fit into - I really wonder about the question!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I have seen a HP c7000 enclosure side by side with a Fujitsu Primergy BX900 series enclosure, and I must say that the general form factors look quite similar when only viewed from the front.

Of course, there are differences that become obvious when one has to do actually handle the hardware - for example, I think the Primergy had a small cut in the corner of each blade, which would match the corresponding ridge in the enclosure slot. The purpose of those in the Primergy design is to make it impossible to insert a blade upside down - but it also makes it impossible to insert a Proliant blade, which does not have the corresponding cut.

MK
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Interesting.

But as you said, even if the blade box would physically fit, there are also the pin connectors, the pinout and all the administrative stuff behind ... this makes it just impossible.

Fill gasoline into a diesel engine and you will destroy something with a lot of noise - same with your blades.

;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!