BladeSystem - General
1753503 Members
4716 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: single port SAS drives in BL460 G6 servers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

single port SAS drives in BL460 G6 servers?

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty determining if single port SAS drives are supported in a dual port server (specifically a BL460 G6). I see here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13238_na/13238_na.html#Storage
that only DP (dual port) drives are listed. I also can find here:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/serial/sas/questionsanswers.html#4b
that DP SAS drives are supported in a SP server.

Since SATA drives are all SP and they are supported in the G6 servers, does this mean that SP SAS drives will also be supported? Thanks in advance for your answers!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to HP BladeSystem Server Blades. -HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

The G6 blade uses the P410i SmartArray controller which is a simple 8port SAS controller. There is no indication that it requires dual port drives, it only has 8 simple ports, no dual SAS domain bus. However single port drives are not mentioned as available for the P410 SA. I think a SP drive would work the reason it is not mentioned is because the SP drives are being phased out and all new drives are DP for simplicity of drive product inventory. Also the P410 as an add-on controller to any server supports tape drives which are SP.
Torben Holm
Advisor

I have a new BL 460 G6 with SP drives installed, but the logcial drive coming out of a RAID1 configuration with 2 146 Gb drives is "0MB" in size....

So something i not right...Perhaps there is a issue with SP/DP drives.

Torben
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the information Torben. Have you contacted HP support about this?
Patrick Chollet
Occasional Visitor

Hi, same problem here. Still waiting for our Reseller to confirm incompatibility. Anything from your side?
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Consider opening another thread to report your issue. (This one has a thick layer of dust.)

good luck