6074 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MDS600 servicing two C7000 Enclosure ??

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

MDS600 servicing two C7000 Enclosure ??

Carlo had an MDS600 question:

I need to confirm if a single MDS600 can be connected to two separate C7000 enclosures, Disk drawer 1 to enclosure 1 and disk drawer 2 to enclosure 2?

Oliver provided an answer:

That should be possible and is documented in the attached whitepaper, page 92.

Here is the white paper that Olive references. Are you using the MDS600 for storage on your BladeSystem? Let us know how you like it?

3 REPLIES 3
eli_tech

Re: MDS600 servicing two C7000 Enclosure ??

MDS600 dual domain, with two c-Class enclosures, accessing all blade slots.

How do I cable the MDS600 with access to both enclosures AND all blades? I can get it to work as pictured on page 92, but no luck with one cable on port 1 on sas and one on port 5.

Thanks

eli_tech

I realized I neglected to provide enough information..
To be more specific I am trying to connect:

Primary I/O Module (Drawer 1) - SAS Port 1 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #1 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 3 - Port 1 (Chassis Slots 1-8)
Primary I/O Module (Drawer 2) - SAS Port 1 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #1 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 3 - Port 5 (Chassis Slots 9-16)
Secondary I/O Module (Drawer 1) - SAS Port 1 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #1 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 4 - Port 1 (Chassis Slots 1-8)
Secondary I/O Module (Drawer 2) - SAS Port 1 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #1 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 4 - Port 5 (Chassis Slots 9-16)

Primary I/O Module (Drawer 1) - SAS Port 2 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #2 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 3 - Port 1 (Chassis Slots 1-8)
Primary I/O Module (Drawer 2) - SAS Port 2 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #2 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 3 - Port 5 (Chassis Slots 9-16)
Secondary I/O Module (Drawer 1) - SAS Port 2 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #2 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 4 - Port 1 (Chassis Slots 1-8)
Secondary I/O Module (Drawer 2) - SAS Port 2 Connector
-- TO -- > Chassis #2 - HP 3GB SAS - Interconnect 4 - Port 5 (Chassis Slots 9-16)

I can get the first three connections in a number of combinations online, but when I connect the 4th connection, to get the last 8 servers online: the whole array goes into degraded state. At that point, I can't log in to the VSM at all until I drop one of the connections.
It would appear that I can only support a total of 24 blades? The only way I've got all 32 blades online is having 24 on Primary and the last 8 on the secondary I/O module.

zerox6679

Eli, were you able to make it work? What was wrong?

Thanks in advance.