5216 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P4800 SAS switch IP configuration from EBIPA

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

P4800 SAS switch IP configuration from EBIPA

Pierre had a SAS question:

In a P4800 installation we have an issue with the configuration of the SAS switch. Both SAS switches are configure for DHCP, from the EBIPA, the IP address for both SAS switch are 10.10.83.65 and 10.10.83.66. Both switch do get the proper IP but the EBIPA do report 169.254.0.205 and 169.254.0.206. At the beginning we thought that this error is cosmetic, but when you try to discover the device in Insight Control, it caused an issue. The tech who did the installation did try to re-seat the Switch, reset OA etc, nothing did fix the issue.

I would like to know if someone else have seen this issue? Is there a fix or workaround?

Dave replied:

This type of error usually is caused because the assigned IPs are in use by some other device(s).

Can you pull the SAS switches to ping those IPs?

Can you assign other IPs that you know are not in use?

If you change the IP, keep in mind that it can take over 8 minutes to release/assign new address. I usually cycle power from the OA to speed things up(if not in production).

169.254.x.x is an APIPA address that is automatically assigned if the unit cannot reach a DHCP/NAT/EBIPA service.

If you can ping one address, can you browse to that address and see the SAS controller GUI?

Only as a curiosity, is the OA on the 10.10.83.0 network?

A second question on SAS switch, we are able to ping the SAS switch that is Active, but not the standby, is this normal behavior?

Other help for Pierre?

1 REPLY 1
Danko
Frequent Visitor

Re: P4800 SAS switch IP configuration from EBIPA

I have the same issue. All the other addresses were assigned through EBIPA except SAS switches. IPs were not used. I was able to manually assign IP to the active SAS switch, which now replies on ping. The other switch is in passive mode, which brings another question: can I failover to the other switch without disconnecting the storage?