BladeSystem - General
1748074 Members
5256 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Emulex LPe1105 and Virtual Connect

Christos Simos

I have a CU with 6 Bl460c Quad Core and Emulex-FC with Virtual Connect, and we have this strange behavior. In the Virtual Connect Manager we can "see" the HP Predefined Set-1 of WWNs assigned to the Port Mapping of each server, but in the FC-Brocade Switches we detect the Hardware assigned WWNs from the HBA's and on the EVA we get the same. So now we are moved back to use the physical WWNs from the HBAs. Is there any solution with the Emulex?, we have tried latest Firmware and drivers the only issue is that we work with W2000 Advanced Server SP4.
13 REPLIES 13
timcross

This is a known issue that can be resolved by updating the Boot BIOS on the HBAs. I believe the latest is 6.00a2. We had the same problem and this is how we fixed it. Unfortunately, this isn't a HP firmware so you will need to create a bootable floppy or floppy image.
John Cagle
Frequent Advisor

It isn't necessary to use a boot floppy. Emulex has online firmware update capabilities with their drivers. Just use lputilnt on Windows or 'lputil' on Linux. You'll need to download the latest firmware file to use with the utility. lputil is part of the Emulex HBAnywhere package which can be downloaded from HP here: http://tinyurl.com/5bmbk3 Another option is to use Emulex's HBAnywhere utility, which can update the firmware across all your Emulex adapters from a single console. Here is a link to the home page of HBAnywhere that describes its capabilities: http://www.emulex.com/products/hba/hbanyware/ds.jsp Here is a presentation about using HBAnywhere with HP Virtual Connect: http://www.emulex.com/white/hba/hpvirtconnect.pdf John
neilburton
Advisor

I'm in a situation with a customer where the Emulex HBAs in all our blades are picking up the VC WWPN for port 1 but not for port 2. Therefore the VC WWPN is presented to one fabric but the hardware WWPN is presented to the other All hardware concerned is running the latest firmware, the HBAs are 2.72A2 with BIOS 6.00a5 VCM shows VC assigned WWPNs across the board
David Billot
Frequent Advisor

Please contact our HP Support (1-800-hp-invent) and reference the revision B Emulex HBA issue. They'll get you fixed up. Thanks, Dave
neilburton
Advisor

Thanks once again Dave - I have already raised a call but I suspect this information will point them in the right direction.
mtalen

Hello neil Iam thinking about an implementation of 2 c7000 enclosures with BL460c blades and in each enclosure Virtual Connect modules. The Fibre channel HBA will be the Emulex LPe1105. How is your case progress with HP. Is there some results, and what are those results. Is the problem resolved with the VC WWPN. Mattijs
neilburton
Advisor

To their credit HP were swift to supply a BIOS update for the LPE1105 which - I have been assured - will fix the problem with the VC WWPN. I'm just waiting to hear back from the end-user to confirm whether or not this has been successful.
fishmn
Regular Advisor

Does this problem also show up in the context of not being able to see the WWID from the SAN switch side of things? We have been having issues with not being able to present LUN's to the 1105's because the SAN guys can't see the WWID's without fully resetting the VCFC modules which not the greatest way to operate to say the least! We have the latest 1.11 VCFC firmware and this is still happening.
neilburton
Advisor

With the problem I described we had connected each blade HBA port to seperate fabrics for redundancy. The VC-assigned WWID appeared on the switch connected to port 1 but the factory-burned-in WWID appeared on the switch connected to port 2. This was corrected with a firmware update. After that the VC-assigned WWID's appeared on both switches. You shouldn't have to reset the VCFC modules, the VC-assigned WWID's should be visible to the SAN switches as soon as the server profile is assigned successfully and the blade powered on.