1748266 Members
3154 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ME Stacking without Flex-10

FuScOnEd
Visitor

ME Stacking without Flex-10

We are re-using two c7000 enclosures to create an ME Stack with VC. Both enclosures have 1/10 VC-F Enet modules in Bays 1 and 2. In order to add redundancy and shorten the number of hops between each I/O module and the uplink ports, we need to use the CX4 port and one of the fibre ports on the 1/10 VC-F Enet modules. Among all of the HP documentation (most of which primarily applies to Flex-10 these days, which is annoying) none of them seem to really talk about this. I saw one document (the one about myths and misconceptions) say that any external port can be used for uplink, but that wasn't clear enough for my liking.

Does HP deem this acceptable, recommended, or what? We are running the latest VC firmware.

Thanks,

Jason

6 REPLIES 6
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: ME Stacking without Flex-10

Jason:

Have you looked at the latest MES guide?

• NEW! - Virtual Connect Multi-Enclosure Stacking Reference Guide 
  •  

FuScOnEd
    Visitor

I have. It still is unclear as to whether our configuration is supported and/or recommended. Is there something in it you can identify that answers my question?

chuckk281
    Trusted Contributor

Jason:

I will ask the guys specifically to address your question.

Chuck

Stevem
    Frequent Advisor

Jason, sorry, but not sure I understand your question.

"In order to add redundancy and shorten the number of hops between each I/O module and the uplink ports, we need to use the CX4 port and one of the fibre ports on the 1/10 VC-F Enet modules."

Are you suggesting that you want to great multiple connections between the two enclosure?  So, for example, Bay 1 of Encl 1 connects to both Bay 1 and Bay 2 of Encl 2?  With the Same for bay 2 Enclosure 1?  Then you would uplink using the 1Gb ports?

If that's the question, yes, that will work and is supported.

Steve...

FuScOnEd
    Visitor

No, I'm saying that I have two enclosures, each with 1/10-F VC Enet cards in slots #1 and #2. Each enclosure also has VC Enet cards in slots 5,6,7 and 8. I want to connect the A-side (left-side) of both enclosures together and the B-side (right-side) of both enclosures together. I don't have enough CX4 ports to do this since the 1/10-F cards only have a single CX4 port. Instead, I want to use one of the 10Gb Fibre ports, as follows:

Enc1, Bay1, X1 (CX4) --> Enc1, Bay5, X1 (CX4)

Enc1, Bay5, X2 (CX4) --> Enc1, Bay7, X2 (CX4)

Enc1, Bay7, X1 (CX4) --> Enc2, Bay7, X1 (CX4)

Enc2, Bay7, X2 (CX4) --> Enc2, Bay5, X2 (CX4)

Enc2, Bay5, X1 (CX4) --> Enc2, Bay1, X1 (CX4)

All of the above stacking links have only used CX4 cables. However, X2 in Bay1 of either enclosure is not CX4, it's a fiber port. So in order to complete the external "ring" of stacking links I need to make the additional connection:

Enc2, Bay1, X2 (fiber) --> Enc1, Bay1, X2 (fiber)

Obviously the same applies to the B-side:

Enc1, Bay2, X1 (CX4) --> Enc1, Bay6, X1 (CX4)

Enc1, Bay6, X2 (CX4) --> Enc1, Bay8, X2 (CX4)

Enc1, Bay8, X1 (CX4) --> Enc2, Bay8, X1 (CX4)

Enc2, Bay8, X2 (CX4) --> Enc2, Bay6, X2 (CX4)

Enc2, Bay6, X1 (CX4) --> Enc2, Bay2, X1 (CX4)

Enc2, Bay2, X2 (fiber) --> Enc1, Bay2, X2 (fiber)

We would then use the X3 (fiber) port on each 1/10-F VC Enet card for our uplinks to the network. I believe this is fully supported, but I can not find any documentation that specifically talks about mixing CX4 and 10Gb (fiber) stacking links. Ultimately they have the same rating (10Gb), but do the physical layer differences matter in terms of it working, whether it is "supported" by HP, and whether it is "recommended" or "not recommended" by HP?

Does that clarify things, or should I upload an image?

FuScOnEd
    Visitor

Any update on this, Chuck?