1748224 Members
4528 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Virtual Connect 1/10 F module to VC Flex-10 migration

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect 1/10 F module to VC Flex-10 migration

John was looking for migration advice or best practices for Virtual Connect modules:

Just polling for others whom have experienced VC 1/10 Upgrades to Flex 10/Fabric VC modules.

In short the only support procedure is Rip n Replace, no customer supported ability to backup/Restore old Config.

If the Customer wanted to preserve the Original Profiles, created under HP Pre Defined range “1”, would the following be appropriate:

• In VC Domain creation, for the new modules, Use Another HP Defined Address Range – Say HP Defined range “10”
  • Recreated the required profiles manually with the old VC domain assigned MAC/WWN’s

My Assumption is that this should:

• preserve the entire “10” address range for “new” Profiles, and
  • Allow for the current profiles to be re-implemented.
  • Allow adequate separation so that no Duplicate MAC/WWN’s could be possible.

Is this possible?

Reply from Chris:

While there are no built-in methods to migrate from old modules to new, you can use the “show config” command that was introduced into VC 3.30 to backup the config.  Yes, the domain will need to be re-created, but with the “show config” output, it’s easier to accomplish than trying to manually recreate it.

Also, do know that the profiles in the “show config” are in the order they were created.  So, the VC Managed Addresses could be retained.

Can you share your experiences?

2 REPLIES 2
MikeUK
Occasional Advisor

In my case it was impossible to replicate from the old to the new chassis.

blade1 in old C7000 had ::77:00:00 and ::77:00:02 assigned to onboard ethernets 1 & 2

blade2 in old C7000 had ::77:00:04 and ::77:00:06 assigned to onboard ethernets 1 & 2

In new C700 with flex connect, as the adaptors can be diveded into 4 virtual adaptors

blade1 in new C7000 has ::77:00:00, ::77:00:02, ::77:00:04 and ::77:00:06 assigned to onboard ethernets 1 & 2

blade 2 starts with mac ::77:00:008, so all the server OS need to be reconfigured and there is NO migration path.

Plus you have to throw out the VC1/10 if you want to be able to use more vlans in the chassis.

elgwhoppo
Visitor

Hmm, I usually don't ressurect old threads unless I have something to contribute. I just did this entire process and ended up having to re-create all the server profiles in the same order they were originally made. I wrote about my experience and procedural steps here: 

http://elgwhoppo.com/2013/10/01/how-replace-a-c7000-virtual-connect-vc110-with-a-flex-10-with-vc-defined-mac-wwns/