BladeSystem - General
1751685 Members
4701 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect Single Domain multi-enclosure online Firmware Update Help/Recommendations?

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect Single Domain multi-enclosure online Firmware Update Help/Recommendations?

A customer firmware update from David:

Hi Experts,

We have a customer who wants to update the firmware on his existing single Virtual Connect Domain, which consists of four c7000 enclosures. He is looking for this to be completed online, without any down time. I personally have only updated one single enclosure at a time using vcsu. I would therefore be grateful  for any help/recommendations as what would be the best way to do this, and any gotcha’s to look out for?

Thanks in Advance.

Reply from Fred:

Might be good to scan http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c02885443. It’s a little dated, but still a good reference regarding VC firmware updates.

And from Borja:

Besides the good document you have been recommended, I would:

• Check multipathing is working well in all the OS of the blades within the enclosures, especially in an active/active vc configuration.

• Make sure FW & SW are at the level of the “recipe”, the current one or the one you choose, depending how high you want to go.

Good luck,

Other help?

1 REPLY 1
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Re: Virtual Connect Single Domain multi-enclosure online Firmware Update Help/Recommendations?

@chuckk281 let us know how didyou go and which steps that you took mate. I'm interested to know it as well.

VC Firmware update can be done without downtime but it's not guaranteed – I had one a few years ago where the Flex modules upgraded fine but the VC fibre module upgrades took one of the LUNs of one of the blades offline. Had to reboot to see the LUN again. Given that you'll want the firmware in lockstep across the board, I always prefer to down everything, upgrade the blades using SPP, upgrade the OA then upgrade VC.

Not sure if this issue can be avoided at all or this is due to the setup of the Virtual Connect in the first place.

Use VCSU: http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_5e16cbb76d9e46e891ca04048d

Best regards,