4247 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Error whilst upgrading to the lastest BIOS for a BL465c G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Connolly_4

Re: Error whilst upgrading to the lastest BIOS for a BL465c G7

KIWIBOY, Could you contact me about your success with BIOS upgrade on BL465c G7 please. I am HP Field Service Engineer Michael Connolly doing a HP Support Follow Up. E-mail address you can use is mc7@hp.com. Please call me Cell 602-763-4543. ...

JeremyHopf

I have this exact same issue, but my systems are running RedHat 6.1

Is there a linux or stand-alone version of this update?  Should I apply this update to all blades, or just ones that won't let me update their ROM/firmware?

NMNI
Occasional Visitor

see here for the advisory with Windows and Linux files

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02994661

Arns

Hello,

Is there a stand-alone iso/usb to update the CPLD ?

Arns

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

I'm also waiting for an offline update for this CPLD...

HP told us while we had the case open that an offline update will follow, but that was now about half a year ago and we never heard any news about an offline update :(

triplehead
Visitor

2Arns

Suppose I have found an easy way to workaround  for this issue.

Had the same fault while updating one of  BL465c G7 blade's system BIOS  from version 12/28/2011 to 03/19/2012 (whereas other blades with identical config in the same enclosure were updated without any issues). I had no success tried to flash new BIOS via ROMPaq and SPP (used Service Pack for ProLiant  SPP_2012.06.0 which include this BIOS version).

Problem was solved after updating of  System Programmable Logic Device for this blade (SPLD). For details , please read HP description on a page c02994661  (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02994661).

I. To update SPLD on a bare metal blade you need to embed Linux Smart Component for System Programmable Logic Device in to SPP.

1. Visit ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-linux-fw/p1156006652/v71524, and download file "CP015808.scexe") .

2. Load HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2012.06.0 from HP store

(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=en&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=4132949&prodNameId=4132827&swEnvOID=4091&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-93c548a72aaa4ee3b2b0e0430b).

3. Open HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2012.06.0 in your favorite ISO-management utility (I have used UltraISO).

4. Copy downloaded "CP015808.scexe" file in to the "hp\swpackages" folder of ISO image.

5. Save updated image, burn it or attach as a virtual DVD.

6. Boot server to the ISO.

7. Select attended interactive mode for SUM utility and beware that your added package "CP015808" in installation list.

8. Install package "CP015808". It is normal that iLO connection will be broken during update. Just reestablish it.

9. Reboot blade.

II. Your should perform hard power reset to complete System Programmable Logic Device update.

1. Power down your blade and remove it from enclosure for a period of 1-2 minutes.

III. Now you can update blade system BIOS. To do this you can use  same  HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2012.06.0 again (for BIOS 03/19/2012) or  ROMPaq (for newer versions) .

Good lack!

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Well thank you!

Just tried that (implemented the scexe into the HP SPP and booted with the iso) and it worked!

Regards,

Scott Arnold
Occasional Visitor

Has anyone found a solution to this issue on systems running VMware ESXi?

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

same procedure as mentioned above (with the scexe into the SPP).

because running SPP from iso boots an unix system which then runs the scexe! (so it doesn't matter which OS is installed on the server)

regards,

Scott Arnold
Occasional Visitor

Re: Error whilst upgrading to the latest BIOS for a BL465c G7

Since this problem has existed for a few years now, I was expecting HP to integrate the solution in the SPP, rather than having customers continue to create custom modified SPP images.  I have a case open with them now, we'll see if that is a solution they will provide now.  If not, then we can use the method mentioned.  Thanks