1753311 Members
6614 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: External Network Connectivity Issue on C7000

karmakoma
Occasional Advisor

External Network Connectivity Issue on C7000

Hi, Hoping someone can offer some assistance.
We have a C7000 blade enclosure with 4 HP 1/10Gb VC-Enet Modules and 2 HP 4Gb VC-FC Modules.
2 Enet modules are in interconnect bays 1&2 the other 2 are in bays 5&6. The FC modules are in bays 3&4.
We have configured each blade bay with 2 uplink ports each. blade bay 1 uses interconnect bay 1 port 1 and bay 2 port 1. blade bay 2 users interconnect bay 1 port 2 and bay 2 port 2 and so forth (hope this makes sense).
These uplink ports are connected to a CISCO switch configured for a VLAN with DHCP helpers. All the ports configured in enet modules in interconnect bays 1&2 are working fine. We are running XenServer and the VM's use DHCP addresses. The ports in the enet modules in bays 5&6 however are not working. The VMs cannot obtain an IP address via DHCP and PXE is not working. The only ports that do work are ports 8 in bays 5 and 6 which are connected to a different VLAN and are used for the XenServer management NICs.
What could I be doing wrong here? I can only assume it is a configuration issue.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

I think the bit where you go "and so forth (hope this makes sense)." really needs expanding as it doesn't.
There is no indication of what uses any ports on interconnects 5&6.
And you do not say if the interconnects are connected together with stacking cables?
Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

What blades are you using? If they are half height blades then the first and second port of mezzanine card 2 get connected to the interconnect bays 5 and 6. If they are full height blades then the ports 1 and 2 of mezzanine card 2 and ports 3 and 4 of mezzanine card 3 get connected to interconnect bays 5 and 6.

Please refer to the following section "Mapping to interconnect ports" for more information on port mapping in C7000 enclosure.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00698534/c00698534.pdf
karmakoma
Occasional Advisor

Ahh Clarete, thanks so much for that. It's all a little more clearer now. I thought I had this mapping thing worked out!

My servers in device bays 9-16 I'm trying to map NIC1 and NIC2 to interconnect ports in bays 5&6 but this is never going to work! I need to map the MEZ2 port 1 and 2.

Thanks again!
Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

Do you have ethernet mezzanine card in mezz2 slot in all the blades? Make sure you do not have a mezzanine card mismatch in any of the blades. Are you able to now configure the ports on mezzanine 2? If the suggestions have helped you solve your concern, please go ahead and close the thread.

Thanks,
Clarete
karmakoma
Occasional Advisor

Hi, yes we have a mez2 card in all of the blades. There is no report of a mismatch. I have seen a blade inserted before with a mismatch and have seen the error so I am pretty sure we are ok.
Still have some CISCO port configuration issues so will clear them up first then close this call.
Thanks,
Darren.