1752815 Members
6051 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

How to deploy many enclosures remotely without logging in one at a time

Richard Chan
Occasional Contributor

How to deploy many enclosures remotely without logging in one at a time

Howdy folks, I seek your advice in deploying 200 enclosures remotely without access to ICD and having to login in one at a time with the unique userid/password which I do not have physical access to.

I can provision IP addresses via DHCP but how do you bootstrap the whole thing when the unique password is on the dogtag.

Say, I assign 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 to my enclosures OA, I then want to 

for x = 1 to 200

ssh Administrator@192.168.1.x  (with unique password)

...configure OA...

However it seems  I need 200 passwords matched to the enclosures.

"The initial credentials to log in to a new Onboard Administrator module are printed on a label on each
module. The user is Administrator and the password is unique to each module. This password must be
captured by the installer and communicated to the remote Administrator for the first remote login to the
Onboard Administrator GUI or Onboard Administrator CLI. "

Surely there is some other more productive way of doing it? Do you have your datacentre people record it down

and send it to you? 

[I'm looking for something like Dell iDRAC auto-discovery to set first username/password.]

2 REPLIES 2
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Re: How to deploy many enclosures remotely without logging in one at a time

Put a basic config script on a FAT formatted USB Thumb drive and save it as a .cfg file.

Then you can import the script from the front LCD panel with about 5 button presses.

One of the things you can have in the script is the addition of a new user with admin privileges.

I keep the following script on my USB drive as a back door.
ADD USER "hpadmin" "hpinvent"
SET USER PASSWORD "hpadmin" "hpinvent"
SET USER CONTACT "hpadmin" ""
SET USER FULLNAME "hpadmin" ""
SET USER ACCESS "hpadmin" ADMINISTRATOR
ASSIGN SERVER 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,1A,2A,3A,4A,5A,6A,7A,8A,9A,10A,11A,12A,13A,14A,15A,16A,1B,2B,3B,4B,5B,6B,7B,8B,9B,10B,11B,12B,13B,14B,15B,16B "hpadmin"
ASSIGN INTERCONNECT 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 "hpadmin"
ASSIGN OA "hpadmin"
ENABLE USER "hpadmin"

SET OA UID 1 ON
SET OA UID 2 ON

The last 2 lines flip the OA UID Lights on so you know the script ran successfully.
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Re: How to deploy many enclosures remotely without logging in one at a time

Oh and in the future, for a few extra bucks, you can supply HP with a config script when you place an order and ask that they include "Factory Express 4" in your order.
The HP factory can then run your script on each c7000 BEFORE they ship it to you.

There is also a way to have them send you a CSV with details of the order like Serial Number, MAC Address and I think default password. But again, the HP Sales team needs to flag the order/quote ahead of time so the factory knows to generate this. It cannot be generated after the enclosures have shipped.