1748019 Members
4650 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Insight Display is permanently off

clukem
Occasional Contributor

Insight Display is permanently off

We have a C7000 Blade System containing 1 x bl460c G8. The problem we have is that the insight display is permanently off. I've seen in the documentation that this happens after periods of inactivity and pressing any button initialises it. In this case the display has been off since it was first powered up and no pressing of buttons changes this. We have been able to configure the blade via a kvm cable in the front of the BL460C and can now access ilo2 via the ethernet connection at the back of the rack. Is there something obvious that has been missed out here?

8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Insight Display is permanently off

I have seen this before a few days ago.
The cable from the display connects to a PCB on the left front side of the enclosure. This PCB fits into a connector located at the backplane.
There was a plastics isolation material that was slipped just between the PCB and the backplane connector - so there was no connectivity between the backplane and the display.

Unfortunatelly you will see this only with the backplane removed ... :-(

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Casper42
Respected Contributor

If this enclosure is new, just call HP Support and make them fix it. You don't want to deal with removing a midplane.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Sure it could be a problem with the cable or display.

But do try to reset and reseat the OA(s), and also the OA Tray.

if that do not help, call HP.

In the mean time, you can set the OA IP address, using the Serial port on the OA, and command line interface.

All you need to set is the IP of the primary OA, then you can connect to the OA using, using a browser.

Note all devices for the C-Class is set for DHCP by default!

BR

/jag 

Accept or Kudo

clukem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all. Although the unit has just been installed it has been in storage for roughly 10 months. Just checking with our purchasing people what support agreements we have in place. I have been able to get an IP address on OA1 and log in via

it. It's not causing us any problems at the minute and being pushed to start blade testing. When that is complete I'll try re-seating OA1

Thanks

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Greate :)

But do get it fixed before you put things in production, and even before you go to testing.

Once you're in production, you will have a hard time to get down time the enclosure. Reseating the OA and the OA tray, do not give you down time, but if they have to take the enclosure apart, you will have down time.

So you're better off, to get it fixed asap.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

clukem
Occasional Contributor

I've included this problem here because I have a suspicion that they are linked. When clicking on the BL p-class tab I get the response shown in the attachment. This apart from error given has no rack view and no static ip bay configuration. Is this related to the display being permanently off?

Casper42
Respected Contributor

p-Class is an entirely different product :)

That error definitely seems like you have a problem with the OA as well.

I would call HP ASAP and get that case open before you run out of warranty.

From the c7000 QuickSpecs page:
Enclosure: Three-year parts and labor, on-site limited global warranty. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply
Enclosure options: Fans, Power Supplies, BladeSystem Onboard Administrator, 1 Year parts only or enclosure warranty
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The attached picture is showing a c-class enclosure, not p-class.

If the enclosure is this old now, I would start updating all firmware (OA, ILO, Blade BIOS, etc) to a current level now (using SPP 2013.09(B)).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!