3462 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Not booting Integrity BL860c

Anoop.S.K
Occasional Contributor

Not booting Integrity BL860c

Hi ,

We got a problrm with Blade , not booting ..

Shell> map -r
Device mapping table
  blk0 : Acpi(HWP0002,PNP0A03,200)/Pci(1|0)/Scsi(Pun1,Lun0)
array status showing ACTIVTED from EFI drvcfg -s utility.

4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Not booting Integrity BL860c

If the EFI "map -r" command does not show any lines beginning with "fs", it means EFI is not finding a valid EFI boot partition on any disk or array volume (blk) it sees. That probably means the array volume is currently completely blank and needs to have an OS installed or restored to it.

MK
Anoop.S.K
Occasional Contributor

Hi MK ,

Its happend after system rebbot ! with proper shutdown ....

is ther any other way to recover FS .. ?

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

It might be as simple as forgetting to install the EFI bootloader, and the disk could be otherwise OK; or it could be that someone accidentally told the RAID controller to mirror the blank disk onto the good one, rather than vice versa... in which case all data will be lost and backups will be your only hope.

Which operating system was used on the blade?

If HP-UX, get a USB DVD drive and HP-UX installation media, and boot the system to recovery shell mode using the installation media. First check the disk is partitioned correctly to be a Itanium system disk: run "idisk /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ" (use the appropriate device name, of course). If that's OK, you can try to import/activate vg00 to check it and use efi_ls to see if the EFI partition (cXtYdZs1) seems OK. If the EFI partition exists but is empty, "mkboot -e -l /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ" might be all that's needed to fix it.

If Linux, find a Linux Live CD/DVD that is suitable for the IA64 architecture. Apparently Ubuntu 10.04 would be suitable. Boot up from the Live DVD and see what it can detect on the disks. Then identify what is missing/broken and fix it.

If Windows, I don't know... I'm a HP-UX/Linux administrator, I don't know much about Windows diagnosis/recovery tools on the IA64 architecture. But I guess they exist... (I think I've heard about something called Windows PE, a minimal Windows command prompt environment that is bootable from a CD or USB stick. That might be useful here.)

MK
Anoop.S.K
Occasional Contributor

Hi ,

Thanks ...................

It's 11iV2 , We recoverd from Ignite .

We are in RCA ...