108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Onboard Administrator -- best practices

ikeleong
Advisor

Onboard Administrator -- best practices

Hello;

I maintain 14 blade enclosues, one IA Dome enclosure

I have been manually logging into each OA and saving "show configs"  as needed and/or once a month

1) I  have as yet not had to put back an OA using a "show config" file, what should I expect to see what I do that.

I do realize that passwords for configed users may not be there

2) is there an automated way I can create the backup configs

thanks much

9 REPLIES 9
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

wich OA version you have?

ikeleong
Advisor

My OA versions are:     3.11 3.30 3.56 3.60 3.70 4.01 4.11

BTW I am an ex-HP employee part of the "HURD" forced retirement (okay layoff) after 31 yrs service in Dec 2005

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

I give the OA CLI you can found on that document all commande and descriptions for any tasks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> is there an automated way I can create the backup configs

Maybe you can script the task with "plink" for example and schedule these scripts?

For the SD2 consider to backup the parconfig, have a look at

DOWNLOAD PARCONFIG ARCHIVE

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

I use a batch file with plink that dumps the show config to a text file.  It then renames the file with the current date at the end so that the file doesn't get overwritten.  Run the batch file and you've got a dump of all your OA's.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hey  Psycho,

Would you consider sharing your scripts?     I am not a window's type, so I am not qualified to write my own.

I'd personally appreciate it very much.

Dave

The Brit
Honored Contributor

Here is my concern.

In the "olden days" I was somewhat disturbed to discover that the although the OA GUI will display the Current Configuration, and/or the current inventory, it does NOT provide an option to save it to a file directly.      Instead, you have to resort to using the browser tools.

I began by using edit>Select All>copy    and then opening a NotePad window and Pasting in the buffer.    Now I could save the file to whatever location I wished.        I subsequently discovered that the IE File > Save As produced the same output. and so I dropped the NotePad bit.

Unfortunately, at some point IE stopped working with older versions of OA and VC (I think IE6-ish).    And doubly unfortunate, I have a remote (2000 miles remote) unattended enclosure which is still running Version 2.6, and is highly unlikely to be upgraded (since any issues would probably require a physical "hands-on")

I discovered however that FireFox did not have the same issues as IE, so I switched to FireFox for that enclosure and was able to continue backing up the configs without a problem (I thought).     Things were made worse by the fact that I subsequently changed my default browser from IE to FireFox  (not just be cause of this, FireFox was/is much faster)

I have recently discovered however, that that the files being saved by FireFox are not formatted the same as those saved by IE.      FireFox saves the files as "Stream", and inserts a linefeed character between records.    This is fine as long as the OA reads the files as "Stream", inwhich case the <LF> is just a command separator, however if you print the file to your screen, you either get a continuous stream of characters (on Windows), or you get the formatted file with a blank line inserted between each record (OpenVMS).

So my question is:    If I had to restore this configuration, could the OA read the "Stream"ed file ??

Thanks

Dave.

P.S. after 7 years, it is time for HP to remove this issue, by simply offering the option to save the displayed config/Inventory display to a file (with a "browse to" button).      It is ridiculous that this function is left to the Browser functions.      VCM doesn't do it!     It generates the file and asks where to put it.     Its time that OA did the same.

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Sure, I just use plink in a batch file to dump the config to a text file:

plink -ssh user@chassis1.yourdomain.com -pw password show config > c:\OAConfigs\chassis1.txt

If you get fancy you can add the date and time and rename the file to include those.

ikeleong
Advisor

Dave;

I agree with you in having people post real world examples instead of just saying what to use.

that is why I posted on here first, but what a mistake. 

Done with this board...tired of non objective solutions or supposed help

Better off just using google