New Discussion

ProLiant BL460c G7 - iLO3 and VMware ESXi4.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jens Jeckl
Advisor

ProLiant BL460c G7 - iLO3 and VMware ESXi4.1

Hallo Community,

we are facing issues on several HP ProLiant BL460c G7 running ESXi4.1 in production environments where HP Onboard Administrator states "iLO network configuration problem, check connectivity to iLO default gateway" . iLO 3 is responding to Ping requests but no Remote Console/HTTPS/SSH is working.

In the past there was a way to reset the iLO interface via HP System Management Hompage, since ESXi4.1 this option has gone because only CIM drivers/provider could be installed on ESXi.

Now my question:

Is there a way to reset the iLO (ESXi host still need to be online) without powering down OS and remove the blase from enclosure.

It will be very helpfull to get a proper solution.

Firmware OA 3.32

Firmware iLO 1.16

I know iLO is not up to date but without access to ilo, there is no way to do the update.

Kind regards

JJ

6 REPLIES 6
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant BL460c G7 - iLO3 and VMware ESXi4.1

I am afraid best solution is to plan maintenance windows and update all firmwares in offline way.

Jan

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Their is no way to reset the iLO if ILo cannot be reached, ILO reset is only possible when Ilo can be reached . Best way would be to schedule offline fw update as suggested in the prev post as well

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala

You may be able to do an update of the ILO firmware directly from the Onboard Administrator CLI. That would force the ILOs to reset, and also get you to the latest firmware as well.

Here's a pretty good article detailing the process:

http://blog.nachotech.com/?p=68

Hope it help.  Good luck!

Jens Jeckl
Advisor

Hallo,

many thanks for replies.

The last one is currently the best, but also HP Onboard Administrator is not able to communicate with iLO he has maked the system with an "info" sign and  "iLO network configuration problem, check connectivity to iLO default gateway" message.

Thanks

JJ

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Best solution with less risk is offline upgrade.

Jens Jeckl
Advisor
Solution

Hi all,

after long time investigation and consultation with other dc admins we found a way to get communication restored between OA and iLO3.

Here are the steps:

1. connect to OA via SSH client

2. ensure server blade is powered off

3. run following command: RESET SERVER <baynumber>

WARNING: Resetting the server trips its E-Fuse. This causes all power to be momentarily removed from the server. This command should only be used when physical access to the server is unavailable, and the server must be removed and
reinserted.

Any disk operations on direct attached storage devices will be affected. I/O
will be interrupted on any direct attached I/O devices.

Entering anything other than 'YES' will result in the command not executing.

Do you want to continue ? Yes

Successfully reset the E-Fuse for device bay <baynumber>.

After resetting the server blade it will be fully initialized and communication will be established.

NOTE: Other administrators have had this problem, independent to firmware releases of OA and iLO3.