1752762 Members
5185 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual Connect Domain failure

Cindy Mayer

This might help some people

The first thing I'd like to do is rule out an issue that can cause VCM to display no communication with Virtual Connect modules that occurs when DNS is enabled in the Onboard Administrtor under Enclosure Settings > Enclosure Bay IP Addressing > Interconnect Bays. If EBIPA is used to assign an IP address, make sure there is no DNS information entered. If there is, remove it and update by hitting the Apply button at the lower right. (This is if you use EBIPA to assign IP address. If you use an external DHCP server, then we would want to remove the DNS info there.)

The symptoms for the DNS issue is VCM reporting no communication for one or more VC modules and stacking links showing failed.

After i replied with this fixed it i got this in return.

Glad to hear that took care of it. There is a customer advisory on this issue, c02720395, but I don't believe it's availble on our website yet. There will be a future firmware fix, but for now the workaround is to remove the DNS information.
Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro

Hello Folks,

This DNS issue as described in the document c02720395 is resolved in VC FW 3.17 that is our next targeted release of VC FW.

Cheers, Jeroen
(I am an HPE employee)
RBC09

Hey All,

We've what HP's advisory has asked and cleared the DNS records for our interconnect cards IPs. We run a DHCP not EBIPA. Also we temporarily set DNS not to update the IP scope. We are still experiencing the No communication error. Has anyone tried something else that resolved this issue? I am new to blade systems and am even having a hard time getting an HP engineer to resolve the issue.

Any advise or a "try this it worked for me" would be greatly appreciated.
HRT
Advisor

I cleared the DNS settings, and once I reseated the secondary module, everything resynchronized correctly.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

For the older fw versions you need to remove the DNS info from the Device Bays page on the OA EBIPA.

Since you use DHCP, this might not help, but I would do it anyway.
JMG-IT

Hello - Jeroen or anyone else out there:

Is there a release date for VC FW 3.17?

Anyones input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris House
Frequent Advisor

I removed the DNS entries from my EBIPA settings for the Interconnect modules and within a few minutes it cleared up the loss of communication between my VC ethernet modules, without needing reseat/reboot anything. However, we were using a hostname in our LDAP server field so that had to be changed to the IP equivalent in order to use LDAP authentication again.

... looking forward to weird new bugs in 3.17..........
Emarthi

Hi,

I have the exact same problem, brand new C7000 with two VC Eth modules.
All latest FW.
Have also tried to remove DNS entry, without any luck!
We have not put the enclousure in production yet, so I also tried to delete the domain and recreate it, still not work.
Also tried to flush the FW on VC again.
I have open a case with HP, but the response arent wery quick, the only solution from HP so far are the workaround with DNS...

Erik
Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro

Hello JMG-IT,

We don't have a formal release date yet although we are working on updated schedule to push it out within a month from now or sooner.

Erik, feel free to post your CaseID so I can lookup the status for your case.

A updated Customer Advisory with the same URL: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02720395 should be available very soon.

Cheers, Jeroen
(I am an HPE employee)
Emarthi

Hi Jeroen,

Thanck you for quick response!
My case number with HP are: 4626776895.

Thancks