HPE EVA Storage

1 FP in EVA controller not being used

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matt Shaffer_1
Regular Advisor

1 FP in EVA controller not being used

We have an eva 4000 with 2 controllers and 2 disk shelves. it appears that only 3 FPs are being used. 1 FP is not being touched at all. we've been working with HP for weeks on this and they can't explain to us why this is happening. zoning is correct. any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Re: 1 FP in EVA controller not being used

Are these the host facing FPs or the disk FPs?

If host FP - has it logged into the switch OK? Does it appear in any of the paths on the hosts? What OSes are you using?

It is up the the host to decide which FP to use. The host initiates the I/Os, not the EVA.
Del_3
Trusted Contributor
Solution

We need a bit more info Matt. Are you saying that one of the EVA fibre ports connected to your switches is not being utilized? If so then look at the switch and be sure the EVA port is logged in. Then check the speed. Is it correct? I always hard code my switch ports to the speed of the EVA. Many an EVA doesnt log in a the proper speed. I recently had an EVA 4100 on a MDS switch that would not flogi (one port)at all until we initialized the EVA, then it was fine.

Next create a zone with the "unused" EVA port and one host pWWN. See if you can create a LUN and present it to the host with CV and generate some I/O to the EVA vdisk.

That should tell you something. You can montitor the port on Brocade with "portperfshow".

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

What multipathing software are you using on your hosts, and what operating systems ?

That may well have an effect on which ports are being used...

Cheers,

Rob
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
the most important here is to monitor the EVA FP port error counters via evaperf.
If they are growing, it may be the marginal link problem and the quickest way of its solving is changing the SFPs on both sides - on the EVA port itself and also the EVA SAN switch port and also the cable between them. You can also check this SAN switch aptpolicy (should be 1), dls (should be disabled, (dlsshow/dlsset)), iod (should be enabled (iodshow/iodset), because EVAs does not provide the dynamic routing.
the pain is one part of the reality
Matt Shaffer_1
Regular Advisor

if I remember correctly the controller was going bad and eventually was replaced. thanks.