5425 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2x MSA2312fc, 2x Proliant DL380 SAN VMware-ESX Mirroring

innasa
Occasional Contributor

2x MSA2312fc, 2x Proliant DL380 SAN VMware-ESX Mirroring

Hi,

we have bought the following configuration after our HP-Distributer checked the configuration for us:

Two MSA2312fc are connected via SAN-Switches with two Proliant DL380 (Crossed connections for redundancy), another Proliant DL380 is configured as the VMware Management Server. In order to use the highavailability-function of the ESX-Server we have to mirror the storage. We bought two licensec of HP Storage Mirroring Software, but with this software we cant mirror the storage, we are only able to mirror virtual or physical machines to the other esx-Server. A failover is no problem, but there is not possiblity for a automatic fallback. HP-Support told me to make that there are two possibilities to mirror the storage:

1. Connect both MSA directy to windows an configure a software-Raid-1 above both (I dont know if its really possible?)

2. As HP-Support told me VMWare has a function to mirror the Storage, i dont know this function. A Case at the VMWare-Support from HP is started, 7 Hours ago the supporter told me that he will call back withing 30 minutes, but he did not (HP-Support is not as good as some years ago)

Do you have a solution for me?

Thanks for your help!
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

Can you state your objectives - are you simply trying to configure VMWare ESX for a single site, or are you attempting a long-distance replication?

The MSA2312 can be configured with no single points of failure, so I'm not exactly understanding why you need TWO, unless you are configuring a disaster recovery site.

Please clarify, and I'll see if I can help.

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

VMware HA does not use or understand 'mirrored' storage (whatever 'mirroring' means).

"Storage 'mirroring'" is a bad product name, because it is a solution for *replicating* data.

The decision when to do a failback is a complex one - the system often does not understand the complete situation and it require a human to decide.

1. Software RAID-1 in a VM does not make much sense and the VMkernel by default attempts to shield storage problems from the VM anyway.

2. VMware ESX server can do RAID-1? Really?
Please let us know what the supporter told if/when he gets back to you...
innasa
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

the mirroring is between two MSA which are placed in the same building but in different rooms (so when there is a fire or something like that it is no problem if one MSA is destroyed).

The decision of Fallback is complex, thats right but the system will be located some hundrets kilometers away an there is no IT-Technician available immediately if something fails.
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

I have not explored the new esx4 (vsphere), but I do not believe that esx3 supports any sort of mirroring.

You may be fine using rsync or built-in VMWare tools to make copies of your VMs to the "second" storage array, for redundancy. If you have critical data that needs to be backed up on a regular basis, you COULD setup HP Storage mirroring between two VMs (that are located on two different MSA arrays).

If you learn about any new VMWare Vsphere features that DO allow for storage mirroring, please let us know!

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)