1748081 Members
5151 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4/8 SAN Switch Reset

David_Phillips
Occasional Advisor

4/8 SAN Switch Reset

I've inherited a system that was in the process of being configured and unfortunately, there isn't any documentation.

I have a HP StorageWorks 4/8 SAN switch that I cannot get any form of administrative access to. I don't know the IP Address that it's been configured with, it's not configured for DHCP and for some strange reason I can't get anything out of it via the serial port, either through the EZSwitchManager or via a terminal emulator.

EZSwitch Manager doesn't detect a switch and the terminal emulator doesn't show anything at all, even with keyboard input and some bashing of Enter.

At the moment I have an expensive box of flashing lights. Any ideas? Is there a hard reset switch somewhere?

Thanks,
David
9 REPLIES 9
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

For performing af reset of the switch you need to call support which can give you a temporary password.

Anyway you need access to it via the serial port.

Regards
David_Phillips
Occasional Advisor

I did think that the serial port would be the key to this - any ideas as to why it wouldn't be working?
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Which serial settings are you using ?

bps 9600
databits 8
partity none
stop bits 1
flow control none

Thats the default.

Regards
David_Phillips
Occasional Advisor

Yep - that's what I've been using. Putty to serial connection, 9600,8,N,1. Nothing except a single green rectangle in the top left hand side of the screen.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are you sure you're using the right serial cable ?

By default SAN switches come with the IP address 10.77.77.77 with a 24 bit mask. You could try that...

Cheers,

Rob
David_Phillips
Occasional Advisor

Yep - I've tried three different cables, all of which have been used in the past to configure other devices via serial connection. I'll try the default IP, but I suspect it's been changed.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

By "other devices" do you mean similar switches ?

Just because the cable worked on something else with a 9 pin D connector, it doesn't mean that the pinout on the connector was the same...

Cheers,

Rob
KurtG
Regular Advisor

You could try to:
- Configure youre pc with a static ip
- Connect the pc directly to the switch (Crossover cabel if youre pc has less than a 1GB ethernet card)
- Configure a static ip on the switch by using a static arp entry on youre pc.
- The ethernet mac adress is on one of the switch lables.

I you get a login prompt you to test the admin, root and factory accounts with the default password (password).

Is the switch interlinked with any other swicthes?

KurtG
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

David,
Brocade uses non-standard serial cable so if you try to use, for example cisco cable it won't work. If you haven't this cable, you can try to buy it (google XHP-000027). Or you can try to make cable by yourself (by downgrading cisco cable, for example :) ) with this pinout:

====not crossed====
1 -- --
2 TxData Transmit Data
3 RxData Receive Data
4 -- --
5 GND Logic Ground
6 -- --
7 CTS Clear to Send
8 -- --
9 -- --
====not crossed====

And yes, i'm not sure about 7 - if you definitely decided to use soldering iron, try first without it. Good luck! :)