Go to solution
Jeff Arwood
Advisor

516 Fibre subsystem link failure

MSA 1000
Srv 08 R2 X64
Smart array 6i (2x 73GB Raid1)
Emulex LightPluse HBA

Where do I begin to troubleshoot? I have no historical knowledge on hardware viability. it seems logical to me to replace the fiber cable first and reboot the MSA. Is there a visual way to confirm integrity of link connection without stating the obvious as to examine the fibre cable.
17 REPLIES 17
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 516 Fibre subsystem link failure

That is a current message? Clear the messages on the MSA1000 display pressing left and right arrows at the same time, see if the message reappears.

What does the MSA have on the back?
- One port I/O module?
- Two port hub?
- 6-port SAN switch?
- 8 port SAN switch?

Is it connected to a SAN switch or to a server directly?

Check in the SAN switch the port status.
Jeff Arwood
Advisor

vcespon,

first thanks for your time.

Okay message cleared, however the software arrary configuration utility still does not see the other controller, just the perc 6i.

Looking at the back of the msa 1000 left to right top. There is a fibre connection from left side to hba in hp proliant dl360 one solid green light on the device in this slot no identifying description. There is a hp storage works hub 2/3 in right slot, no connections amber lights.

I do not have a rj45z console cable to connect to the right front controller. I can tell you the message does display one volume.

I hope that helps.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Two things:

The MSA1000 has one or two controllers? Each controller only communicates with the module directly behind it. So controller on the right side looking from the front communicates with I/O module, hub or switch on the left side looking from behind. It's a common mistake to have the controller plugged in an slot that has no I/O module on the back.

I understand that the only fiber connected is on the I/O module. Check on this web: http://h20272.www2.hp.com/ that the fiber channel card on the server supports direct connect to a MSA1000.
Jeff Arwood
Advisor

vcespon,

Facing the MSA in controller 1 slot (right hand side) is a RJZ45 console interface with green LED lights and a button controll LED screeen with messages. In the controller 2 slot (left hand side)appears to be a space filler in that there are no LED lights, LED message console or RJZ45 console interface.

Looking at MSA from behind on the right side is a HP Storage arrary hub 2/3 two I/O ports both not connected blinking amber. On the left side is an unmarked I/O port with fibre plugged in and a green light which the other end of the fibre is connected to the server Emulex LightPluse HBA.

Does this help? I am working on PICs for you.

Thanks again for your time
Jeff Arwood
Advisor

I know have pics for you to look at...
Jeff Arwood
Advisor

more pics
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

First picture: the left module (front) is indeed a filler.

Second picture: the left module (rear) is a Fibre Channel I/O module. The right module, as you say, is a 2/3 hub, but it is not used, because there is no controller module in the front place.

If you don't run with a Fabric Switch connected between the I/O module and the server's FC HBA, you
- might have to tell the MSA controller module to run FC_AL protocol,
-- best with HARD_ADDRESSING and select an AL_PA higher than 4 at least (8 or 15 are the next ones)
- tell the FC HBA in the server to run at 2 GigaBit/second and the Windows device driver for the adapter to use FC_AL protocol, too
Jeff Arwood
Advisor

In order to address the MSA controller configuration I will need the RJ45Z, do you have a part number for that.

As far as configuring the HBA I will need to download a Emulex configuration utility?

Also I want to update the BIOS is this HP Proliant DL360 G4 that the MSA is attached too, however I am getting that awful message about not having the rompaq image when attempting to run the rompaq.exe. ERR!
Are there some switches on the System Board that need to be set?
Jeff Arwood
Advisor

Ping on my last reply... :)