HPE EVA Storage

81Q HBA & 8/20Q Switch

M D Tizzard
Occasional Advisor

81Q HBA & 8/20Q Switch

Does anyone know if we have to do any HBA/Switch configuration to allow the above to support the registration of multiple WWN's for a single HBA on the fabric?
We're want to run VMWare ESXi and use NPIV to generate VM specific WWNN/WWPN however when we enable this at the VM no additional registration appears on the switch port?
I've seen a number of high level documents on the web indicating that the kit supports this but seem to be stumped when trying to get it to work. The only information I can find in the switch technical docs regarding NPIV seems to relate to TR ports and trunking to B Series fabrics - nothing to do with what we want to achieve.
Appreciate any help you can give.
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: 81Q HBA & 8/20Q Switch

Working with NPIV is not just a matter of assigning multiple virtual WWNs to a VM. Last time I played with it the problem was that NPIV was turn off by the FC device driver quite quick, because the virtual WWNs could not see any LUNs on the fabric.

What I had to do was:
- pick up the VM's WWNs

- on the FC-switch: add them to the zoning (pure WWN-based zoning was used) for the storage array

- on the storage array: create a host entry, connection, host group (or whatever terminology your box uses) and use the VM's WWNs

- map the virtual/logical disk, volume, unit, LUN (or whatever terminology your box uses) to the host entry. Last time I checked, you had to use the same LUN address that was used for the RDM.

- start the VM again.
M D Tizzard
Occasional Advisor

Re: 81Q HBA & 8/20Q Switch

Uwe thanks very much for your prompt response. We have configured the VM WWPN's, created zone mappings at the switch and provisioned storage based on the VM WWPN however the process is still failing. The VM appears to try a plogi at the switch three times before it gives up and mounts the storage via the host HBA. The storage LUN numbering is identical between the host and the VM so I cannot understand what I am doing wrong? Any further advice would be most helpful.