AM867A Failover

SOLVED
Go to solution
Berni64
Occasional Advisor

AM867A Failover

I have one SAN-Switch, one P2000 MSA with two controllers and one Server with a dual FC HBA. How do i have to configure the SAN-Switch to have an automatic failover for the connected server?
4 REPLIES 4
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Re: AM867A Failover

with only 1 SanSwitch there is no way for it to fail over if the SanSwitch goes down. But you could use the Zoning in the Sanswitch to make it look like 2 seperate fabrics and the failover should work if the HBA/Cable or MSA Controller fails.
Berni64
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for answering.
I know that it is not possible to have a failover with only one SAN switch if this switch fails. But I do have a dual hba in the server and two controllers in my storage.
If I connect both hba ports and both storage controllers I see each volume four times.
My question is how to configure the zoning to have a failover if one hba port or one storage controller goes down and only see the volumes once.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor
Solution

configure your zoning in the SanSwitch as follows:
1)Create a Alias called ServerX_HBA1 and add the WWN of the HBA1 and repeat for ServerX_HBA2
2)Create a Alias's using the wwn's for each P2000 Host Port. A MSA2000fc G2 has 2 ports per controller so it would be MSA_CTRL_1A, MSA_CTRL_1B, MSA_CTRL_2A and MSA_CTRL_2B
3)Create a zone for each HBA. Create a ServerX_Zone1 and add the HBA1 allias and MSA CTRL 1A and 2A alias.
4) Create a ServerX_Zone2 and add HBA2 alias and and MSA Ctrl 1B and 2B alias'
5) Create a config and add all the zones to the config.
6) Save and enable the config
7) install the multipath drive and DSM so you dont see the lun 4 times.
Berni64
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, many thanks.
In meantime I made the first 6 points. But I did not yet realize point 7.