HPE EVA Storage

Access VDISK eva 3000 for temporary use

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis Abel Fernandez

Access VDISK eva 3000 for temporary use

Hello

Six months ago, a disabled use a EVA3000 and replace then with new XP

But users say need some info store on old storage (EVA3000).

When power on EVA3000 battery indicator on both controller appears fail; we wait for a 3 days and system is in same state and i know is imposible access vdisk without batery in good state; but i need access only for check and recovery some files.

I can bypass battery validation on controllers to access vdisk without need replace battery?

storage is not actually cover by a support contract and new battery take long time to arrive (20 - 45 days)

I review on forums. Always say "replace battery on controllers ..."

Can help me please

6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Access VDISK eva 3000 for temporary use

As far as I can tell, NO, there is no way to bypass it. I can understand the intention of the developers to preserve the data integrity, but the real world often is not ideal.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I agree with Uwe. I've not found a way of bypassing the requirement to have good batteries in an EVA3000.

In case you weren't aware, the battery part number is 235870-001. A quick Google shows quite a few available for sale on eBay etc. but just be wary of any that aren't new.

Cheers,

Rob
Luis Abel Fernandez

I agree with you but...

I consider it a failure of design, should allow read-only access to the vdisk while receiving the replacement parts.

One can solve and give continuity to business processes by moving important files to end users.

I wait for delivery replacement batteries, but while I believe there is a possibility to access vdisk. I believe that anything is possible in technology.

Thanks for you responses.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I fully agree. A box that is called an *enterprise* array *MUST* provide such emergency bypasses, even if there is some barrier to prevent people from messing with the system too easily.

While talking with a high-level HP support person some years ago, I've heard that there is not even a 'secret' bypass for service people (or he did not know either). Sounds like a clear design error and how much the developers are detached from reality (as I like to call it).

The EVA's predecessor HSG did have a setting (SET THIS_CONTROLLER UPS=DATACENTER_WIDE) which allowed to run a controller with any battery at all. It's mentioned in the ACS V8.5 troubleshooting guide, released in May 2000.
Luis Abel Fernandez

Thanks Uwe

I think even if you can see the data and confirmed it for me with your last reply.

I will close this message. I waiting for receive replacement battery (20 - 45 days)

Also thanks to Rob for your reply

Luis Abel Fernandez

I wait for battery replacement parts.
But I even searched for a solution for access vdisk without battery.

Thanks