4251 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Add 9 additional shelved to EVA8400

Jake M_1
Frequent Advisor

Add 9 additional shelved to EVA8400

Hi,

I have been tasked with looking into upgrading one of our EVA 8400s from 2C18D configuration (18 shelves) to 2C27D (27 Shelves)

I dont really know where to start on this, I am presuming that its fairly simple, i.e.

#1) Buy a bunch of shelves, a rack to put them in and some disks

#2) Power down the EVA.  Attach shelves based on some wiring configuration

#3) Power up EVA!

I am after finding some kind of upgrade guide, I havent been able to locate one on HP.COM, perhaps someone can help?

Also, i am wondering whether I need to do anything clever with relocating disks within RSS groups to the new shelves to spread them out?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Jake

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, looks solid.
You'll need optical cables between the racks if I'm not mistaken.

Seen the manuals?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3900918

There is a document called "HP StorageWorks 6400/8400 Enterprise Virtual Array expansion rack reference guide (5697-8184, September 2009)".

The disks in the expansion rack, are they going to be put into existing disk groups?
You do not have granular control over the members of the RSS.
You could add the disks to DG in groups of eight and spread them out vertically between the shelves.
Jake M_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the document pointer, this is what I have been after. 

We are always careful to install disks in groups of 8 and looking through, it seems that all the RSS groups are correctly separated across shelves with no RSS group having more than 1 disk on a shelf. 

I think its probably best not to mess around with this and just put all new disks into the expanded shelves in groups of 8, each disk on a separate shelf.  That is until the new shelves are similarly populated to the current shelves.

Are there any got-ya's when changing this configuration, anything i need to be aware about?

Thanks for helping,

Jake