New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add new Drive Enclosure to EVA6000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hanh_3
Frequent Advisor

Add new Drive Enclosure to EVA6000

Hello,
I have to add a new Drive Enclosure (type M5314B) to an existing EVA6000 which already has 4 Drive Enclosures.
- The current Enclosure Address Bus is using the lowest 5 ports / total 10 ports (not including the bottom and the top port). Because of the position of the new enclosure, I only could connect its CAB address port to the 9th or 10th port (highest ports). Is it possible?
- Each of the 2 loop switches is using 6 ports / 12 total ports : 2 ports for the 2 controller and 4 ports for the 4 Drive Enclosures. The 6 used ports are at the lower row , the port number is from 7 to 12. The remaining (available) 6 ports are at the upper row and have port number from 1 to 6. Is there any specific requirement about the loop switchтАЩs port number to connect to the new Drive EnclosureтАЩs I/O module A&B ports ? Actually, I have read the documents тАЬHP StorageWorks EVA 4000-6000-8000 M5314 Drive Enclosure Installation InstructionтАЭ and тАЬHP StorageWorks EVA4x00/6x00/8x00 M5314 drive enclosure installation instructionsтАЭ . They have a rule for specific port but the current 4 Drive Enclosures donтАЩt follow that rule (and still working well), so the new 5th Drive Enclosure could not follow the rule (the port required is not available). Because the connection is base on loop switch, I think it should connect to any available port, but IтАЩm not sure . Please help me.
Thanks in advance,
Hanh
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"I only could connect its CAB address port to the 9th or 10th port (highest ports). Is it possible?"

Yes, but why are the other ports unavailable?

Do you have other hardware installed in the rack?

Technically, you are "supposed" to start at the next available to keep the bus ID consecutive, but plugging into 9 should get you a usable ID.

"Is there any specific requirement about the loop switch├в s port number to connect to the new Drive Enclosure├в s I/O module A&B ports ?"

Ideally you want to follow the suggested port layout, but it will/should work with any port you plug into.

Supported... is another issue.

If it is not cabled in a supported way now, you may want to take the time to fix it.

I don't have the doc in front of me, but I recently had to use it to do an upgrade and I think i remember the layout being specific to the EVA8000 (layout with 6 disk shelves above/below the controllers.)

I'll try to take a look at it today when I have a moment.

Steven

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Hanh_3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Steven.

"Yes, but why are the other ports unavailable?
Do you have other hardware installed in the rack?"
Yes, we have other hardware between the controller enclosure and the new drive enclosure.

I attach here the 2 documents.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Just like I remembered, the doc is more geared towards an 8000/8100 configuration that has 4 backend loop switch. The 6000 only has 2 loop switches.

So, your connections would typically look like this:

.................Loop 1A ----- Loop 1B

Shelf 8: port 5 ----- port 7
Shelf 7: port 7 ----- port 5
Shelf 6: port 9 ----- port 3
Shelf 5: port 11 ----- port 1
Controllers
Shelf 4: port 8 ------ port 6
Shelf 3: port 6 ------ port 8
Shelf 2: port 4 ------ port 10
Shelf 1: port 2 ------ port 12

basically, you just work from the left to the right, bottom up on the loop on the left side, (Loop 1B) and from the right to the left, bottom up on the loop on the right hand side (Loop 1A)

But since they look something like...

Shelf 5: port 01 ----- port 06
Controllers ports 11,12 -- ports 7,8
Shelf 4: port 10 ------ port 09
Shelf 3: port 09 ------ port 10
Shelf 2: port 08 ------ port 11
Shelf 1: port 07 ------ port 12

I would just follow the same rule for the top shelves, for Loop 1B work left to right on the top row of ports and on Loop 1A work right to left.

That would put your next shelf at the above ports.

I don't think it is detrimental to have the shelves connected to specific backend loop ports since each shelf has a unique ID based on the CAB position. (which is why it seems to be working just fine now)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Hanh_3
Frequent Advisor

"I would just follow the same rule for the top shelves, for Loop 1B work left to right on the top row of ports and on Loop 1A work right to left."
I agree with you Steven.

Here is the current layout and the shelf 5 layout I will add:

.........Loop 1A ----- Loop 1B

Shelf 5: port 01 ------ port 06
Controllers ports 7,8 -- ports 7,8
Shelf 4: port 12 ------ port 09
Shelf 3: port 11 ------ port 10
Shelf 2: port 10 ------ port 11
Shelf 1: port 09 ------ port 12

Thanks for your detail answer, Steven.