HPE EVA Storage

Adding 2 8/40 switches to existing fabric

Ravish Shah

Adding 2 8/40 switches to existing fabric

We have an urgent enquiry that came through and require immediate assistance. I am trying to clarify what needs to be done and gather a cleare picture.
The client has purchased 2 pairs of 8/40 SAN switches. Their existing environment has EVA6000 with 4/32 SAN switches.
The client has also purchased ISL trunk licenses for the old 4/32 switches. Although, I need to understand if this is required?
The client wants to implement trunking at a later stage, and currenly only wants to create ISL between/expand the existing port count.
What we are looking to do is connect the 2 new 8/40 switches to existing pair of 4/32 switches. First, is this compatible? the 4/32 switches have fw version 6.2.0g
I am new to ISL and am trying to understand if this is required? ISL trunking is basically used to aggregate the connection between switcches?
The client currently only wants to install these 2 new switches to existing SAN and will look at ISL trunking at a later stage when 2 more 8/40 will be purchased.
In order to connect, I was looking through some posts, and people mention cascading? Will this automatically populate zones across to the 3rd and 4th switch? Will it provide failover capacity to existing paths, or will this new switch only connect additional servers and will not support paths for old servers? I am trying to understand how the mpio will work? and what steps we need to take?
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding 2 8/40 switches to existing fabric

Hello,

what I like with fibre channel is that it's not so complicated :)

Trunking is indeed only used when you have more than two E_ports (ISL) between two switches ( I believe they need to be in the same port group as well ).
Trunking is not necessary for connectivity.
Together with exchange based routing it's pretty good.

There is a 6.2.2e firmware out - which is the latest. You want to have the same firmware of course on all switches.

I cannot find the release notes for 6.2.0g.
It might be a good idea to upgrade. In 6.2.2a some stuff were moved from the web gui to the DCFM software.

6.2.2e release notes:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02539493/c02539493.pdf

They have both 4/32 and 8/40 as supported, so they are compatible.

For the new 8/40 to merge, they need to have identical or no zoning+same default zoning. Easiest is to have it empty. A bunch of other values needs to be the same, see 'configshow --pattern 'fabric.ops'. When you connect two switches via E_ports and they don't merge, you will see an error in switchshow and also possibly in errdump/errshow. It stops on the first miss so you may have to do it several times.
You may be interested in the configupload/configdownload commands.

As for cascading. I suppose the client of yours have two fabrics == two switches in each fabric and they are isolated.

Do they have this or is everything in one fabric?

Two fabrics makes upgrading a lot easier and increases redundancy.

If you have two fabrics:
basically you will just connect one 4/32 to one 8/40.

As I assume you only have two switches in each fabric, there's not much cascading to talk about :)
But if everything is in one fabric then fibre channel and mpio takes care of everything, no need to worry about loops like in Ethernet. When the switch is in the fabric (CLI command fabricshow or watch in the web gui) the devices on the new switch can be zoned in with devices on the old switch (and vice versa).
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

two more things:

both 4/32 and 8/40 supports Fabric OS 6.4.x.
of course speed/portconfig on the ports in an ISL also needs to match
Ravish Shah

Hi Johan,
Many thanks for your reply and clarification. I am new to ISL and trunking in fabric. I will explain how we generally setup the switch connection. We still havent had a change to visit this client or understand how this is connected. I am going to ask questions based on our normal installs.

2 X Controller with 2 ports (EVA)
2 X Fabric Switches
Multiple hosts

Port 1 from Controller A connects to Port 1 from Switch A. Port 2 from Controller B connects to Port 2 from Switch A
Port 1 from controller B connects to Port 1 from Switch B. Port 2 from controller A connects to Port 2 from Switch B
Port 1 from HBA (Server1) connects to Port 3 Switch A and Port 2 from HBA(Server1) connects to Port 3 from Switch B
And similar connections for HBA from other servers.

I think when you mentioned 2 fabrics, this is the layout for it right?

We create a full mesh between the switches for failover.

Now if we want to add 2 more switches (switch c and switch d), is it possible to create a full mesh between switches? Or will this not work as HBA's only have 2 connections?

Is this where you suggest an ISL betwen Switch C and Switch A and Switch B and Switch D?

Will it allow the redundancy and multi pathing?

Additionally, when you refer E ports? Are they specific physical ports, or is it a software configu to turn one of the fabric ports into E ports?

When you have ISL, will Server 10 connected to Switch C still see the EVA?

Thanks for your help. I have done few installs with EVA's (all been scratch installs) and always been with 2 switches.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

No problem, I'm glad to help!

>>
Port 1 from Controller A connects to Port 1 from Switch A. Port 2 from Controller B connects to Port 2 from Switch A
Port 1 from controller B connects to Port 1 from Switch B. Port 2 from controller A connects to Port 2 from Switch B

I think you messed some letters up there.

A picture would be helpful here I think :)

This is pretty common setup:
FP1 CTRLA > P1 SWA
FP2 CTRLA > P2 SWB
FP1 CTRLB > P1 SWB
FP2 CTRLB > P2 SWA

FP1 to port1's and FP2 to port2's.

You say you create a 'full mesh between the switches'. So are they today connected?

What I mean with two fabrics is that in case you have in total two switches, there is no cable between the two switches.

You can of course connect all switches and have one fabric and create the full mesh. But then you don't get the separation and fault isolation benefits of two fabrics.

My suggestion is to cable between SWC and SWA etc yes.
It will allow for redundancy and multipathing. If your host is connected to each fabric and on each fabric it can see the array.

e_port is the "extension port" - you configure it via the CLI/web gui. Same type of cable/sfp is used, if the switches are within enough distance.

A server in switch c will see the EVA, if you zone it in. SWC also needs to be in the same fabric as SWA.

HP has a massive guide called 'SAN Design Reference Guide'. Check it out, it's good to read this at least once.