1752808 Members
6087 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding 450GB FC drives to EVA4000

AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Adding 450GB FC drives to EVA4000

The EVA disk drive firmware support matrix confirms support for the 450GB drive is in XCS6.1
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01774589/c01774589.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Dennis Devore_1
Occasional Advisor

Believe I've found the problem - but would like a little input. In the EVAMGR I've found that firmware on the Disk Enclosures is version 3.00 (I selected the disk enclosure, I/O-Comm than it lists the firmware for module A and B). The required VCS version is 3.028, am I reading this wrong or is this possibly the issue?

Also, from experiece is the firmware update something that can be done without service interuption? Anything to look out for (other software problems)? I'm using ESX4 as the host OS on each blade if it makes a difference.

Also, I noted that I need to update the XCS version from 6100 to the latest version. Any thoughts on the same questions?

I'm going through documentation this morning, but real world experience always helps :-)

Thanks again for your time!

Dennis
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

I think you are confusing firmware issues here. VCS is the firmware used by the EVA3000/5000's. EVA4000/6000/8000 use XCS firmware and the current release of that is v6.22. The firmware on the I/O modules gets updated automatically when the firmware on the controllers is updated. The controller firmware update can be done on-line but there are conditions on the workload of the EVA that should be understood before this is undertaken.
Were you able to reduce the used capacity percentage by the controller reset that UWE suggested?.
Dennis Devore_1
Occasional Advisor

You guys were exactly right! I reset each controller one at a time and the occupied space returned to 6.5TB. I do appreciate your time greatly, and thanks for clearing up my confusion with the firmware issue.

Thanks again!! hope this helps someone else in the future (I guess remember to reboot goes beyond windows 98) :-)

Dennis