5069 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding SFP Transceiver to Online EVA

Dweller
Occasional Visitor

Adding SFP Transceiver to Online EVA

Hi,

Does anyone know if can add an SFP Transceiver (AJ716A) to an Online EVA4400 without powering it down? I want to add an additional server to the EVA SAN using FC.

I have a server currently connected via FC to an MSA1000, but need to shift the FC connections to an EVA4400 SAN. I can power off the physical server but an outage on the MSA1000 and EVA4400 is harder to schedule.

Do I have to power down both SANs and attached servers, Add new SFPs, re-configure the SAN Fabric, Switch the cables, and power them back up?

Or can I just Power off the server, Add new SFPs to Online EVA, Re-configure the SAN Fabric, Disconnect from the MSA, Connect to the EVA, power on Server and Reconfigure SAN Fabric?

I suppose the first is safer, but I don't want to have to power off the SANs especially the MSA as it is has an odd configuration.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello!

You do not have to turn off the EVA to add an SFP. Your second method looks good. But if you could describe your SAN a little better that would be good - do you have direct connected server or SAN switches? If you have SAN-switches - is it in dual fabric?

Don't forget to check and configure the port on the EVA - if you have a server direct-connected you need to set the port as such. If you have a switch you set the EVA host port (FPx) in fabric mode. 

I find your post a little contradictory. If you want to add a server to an EVA SAN fabric - why do you need to add an SFP to the EVA? Can't the server access the EVA through one of the existing SFPs?

Hi Johan,

i think you have an EVA4400 with integrated SAN Switches. If so, you can savely add additional SFPs to the EVA(switches). If not, please explain your Configuration more exactly.

Bernd

Dweller
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Johan and