108800 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a NetApp to existing SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
toomas_aas
Frequent Advisor

Adding a NetApp to existing SAN

Our current simple SAN consists of one MSA1500cs with redundant controllers, two 4/8 Base SAN switches and some servers with dual HBAs.

Now there are some thoughts about getting a NetApp (possibly FAS2000 series) device. Can this be attached to our existing SAN? NetApp says it's compatible with several Brocade switches. I know that the 4/8 Base SAN switch is actually some kind of Brocade, but I don't know the exact model. And that basic compatibility issue aside, are there any other possible pitfalls?
3 REPLIES 3
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

Hi Toomas

The Netapp array should work fine. I have used Netapp as an FC array and there was no bad experience.

Infact its a good option for the mid tier storage requirement, since it also provides you the option of iSCSI, NFS and CIFS. The precise reason why they call it a multiprotcol storage.

Administering a Netapp array is also very easy.There is just one pitfall I can think of and that is from a commercial perspective.

The useable space to raw space ratio is the lowest among all storage vendors.So you may loose upto 50% storage if you decide to use certain features in the array.

Kindly assign points if you think this advice has helped you. Else let me know if you need more info.

Regards,
Biju Krishnan
TechHelp24
toomas_aas
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the encouragement. But my main concern is actually if there could be any problems running the NetApp and MSA connected to the same SAN.
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I dont see any problems arising from such a scenario. Its perfectly fine for 2 different technologies to co-exist.

1. Problems might arise when you want to assign storage from the MSA and the Netapp filer to the same host. Both vendors will have different driver requirements.

2. HP and Netapp will test compatibility with Brocade firmware at different times and hence you will have to wait for both.

This is all I can think of.

Regards,
Biju Krishnan