108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding old Brocade Switches to LAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
homehome16
Occasional Contributor

Adding old Brocade Switches to LAN

In January we had a new EVA insatlled and 2 new Brocade SAN Switches.

During the migration of data between the old and New EVA's the contractors connected up the old SAN swicthes to the new SAN swicthes.

Once the migration was compleated the old SAN Swicthes and EVA where disconnected and switched off.

We are in the process of reusing the old EVA for testing and would like to create a seprate SAN.

If we connect the old SAN Switches to the LAN (same LAN as the new switches are connected to) but do not connect the old and new SAN switches together with fibre, will the New and old SAN start comunicating to each other over the network?

I an worried that if I connect up the old switches to the LAN and start making changes to the zoning that it may replicae the changes to the new SAN swicthes over the network, and therefore disable our production enviroment.

Main question is. Do SAN comunicate over LAN or just vis the ISL ports that connect the switches together?

Would it be safe to connect the old switches to the same LAN, and should I clear any of the old swiches config other than creating a new Zone config?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Jo
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Badar
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

If you are planing to create separate SAN, you can do this without any worries relative to same network using. For zoning information interchange between switches, the switches must be connected to the same fabric.
For example: In many situations the SAN consist of 2 independent fabric, with independent zoning to ensure fault tolerance and management LAN is usually one and common.

Robert
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In addition to the reply from Robert, the lan on san switches is used for management only. If more sanswitches are connected to the same lan, there is no interaction between the switches.

Dany
Robert Badar
Valued Contributor

...and, (sorry I miss the clue, little bit)

###
Do SAN comunicate over LAN or just vis the ISL ports that connect the switches together?
###
Just via the ISL ports that connect the switches together. SAN can communicate over the ethernet, but it is other story.

###
Would it be safe to connect the old switches to the same LAN, and should I clear any of the old swiches config other than creating a new Zone config?
###

Yes it would be safe to connect and you can do whatever with zoning without impact to the production SAN.

RB
homehome16
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help guys.

I realy appreciate it.

Jo