1752451 Members
6268 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding vm server to RSM

blake_15
Occasional Advisor

Adding vm server to RSM

I'm looking to add our ESX (v3.5) servers to RSM (v5)as enabled hosts.

Within enabled hosts vm servers config adding a server prompts for the usual IP/user/password details. Is it looking for our ESX server IP's? If yes, what user/password is RSM expecting? Hp support is telling me to use the root account of the ESX server. Ya, great...  We will not pass security audits if we allow direct root login remotely, not to mention using root account as if it were a app user account.

Is there an alternative to using root? If I add a user specifically for RSM to ESX, what permissions are required for this user?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

I think only installation on ESX guest system is supported you can look in P6000 (EVA) Compatibility Reference

in SPOCK http://h20272.www2.hp.com/Pages/spock2Html.aspx?htmlFile=sw_array_p6000_eva.html

also to configure credentials with RSM hosts you create a special account its described in RSM installation guide

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3807693

basically its the same for all RSM versions

Regards

Zohar

blake_15
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I found a doc on using RSM and Vshere that I had not seen before on the second link (at the bottom). This should be useful, however it references using the 'root' account when defining the ESX server in RSM under enabled hosts.

Security doesn't allow us to use the root account as if it were an application user. I'm just trying to determine what permissions are required if I create a 'RSM' user on each ESX server.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

as I said before you can only install RSM host agent on ESX guest not ESX  host

you can see this in the eva software compatibility reference

Zohar