1751832 Members
4928 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Allocated Capacity Exceeds Total Capacity on EVA

skyebe

Allocated Capacity Exceeds Total Capacity on EVA

Hi

I wonder if anyone has come across this before and can tell me how it has happened

We currently have a SAN housing various Disk Groups and we are experiencing an issue with a FATA disk group whereby out total capacity is 13301 GB but our allocated capacity is showing as 26604 GB (almost double)

This has obviously set an alarm on the EVA as it has exceeded it's Alarm Level Capacity, but how has it managed to allocated double the space ?

If anyone can help, or has seen this before and insight would be greatly appreciated 

8 REPLIES 8
Juan B.S.R.
Trusted Contributor

Hi.

It´s a known problem and with firmware XCS 6.220 has been solved.
The only way to clear the warning is making a reset to both controllers.

Regards.

skyebe

Hi

Many thanks for the reply on this

Does the reset mean rebooting the entire SAN or can you do one controller at a time ?

Kind Regards 

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Usually it's enough to restart only the master controller because that's the one CV speaks with.

I'm pretty positive that I've seen this with XCS 6.220 but I never kept score so can't tell.
Juan: How do you tell even if this is an EVA that takes the XCS 6.220 code?

Which EVA type is it skyebe?
On the EVA's with an OCP display you can find out which is the master by looking in the display at the front of the controllers. One will say master and one will say slave.
NSharon
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

A resynch of the controllers may be necessary for Command View to report correct capacities. If you're not very sure about running commands off the FSP, please contact HP via phone to get a case raised for an engineers visit. The resynch is done online and should not cause disruption to presentation if the time limit on the OS is set to 60 secs. Perferrably you can schedule the job during Out-Of Business hours.

Thanks

I work for HP.

If you find my Post Useful please click on the thumbs up!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

FSP - field service page, a "hidden" page that you type directly in the URL to command view to get access to.

The hex command is 2a.

A resynch can take longer than 60 seconds.

30+(1.43*total_TB)=49 seconds for your resynch.

A resynch is a fast reboot of both controllers.

Is it resynch or resync?
Jan van Winden
Occasional Advisor

I have seen this also on XCS 6.220. A resynch will not help, you need to restart the master controller.

After we upgraded to XCS 6.240 the problem was also solved.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

That is great to know Jan, thanks for that.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> A resynch will not help

A "resync", unless we mean differrent things, ist the reboot of both controllers at the same time - omitting hardware diagnostics to make it go faster. I wonder why that should not help.