HPE EVA Storage
1753477 Members
4898 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Any idea on how to format hdd to NTFS format without OS?

SOLVED
Go to solution
SOH BG
Occasional Contributor

Any idea on how to format hdd to NTFS format without OS?

Hi Guys

If I tried format the hdds to NTFS in another server, will it affect my raid settings as I remove the hdd to format the hdd.

Hope to get any suggestions/recommendations. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

You're talking about hardware RAID or software RAID?
In a hardware RAID the OS does not see the disks, you create a RAID, then a logical unit, then a partition, and then the OS formats that partition. You do not format a disk.

DISKS -> RAID -> LOGICAL UNIT -> PARTITION

The OS sees and formats partitions, not disks.
SOH BG
Occasional Contributor

raid setting done during boot up (F8). Thats means I can just remove the hdd to format to NTFS after partition? Thnaks for any advise and feedback
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Don't do that. If I understand correctly what you want to do ... no this will very likely not work.

The disk will be overwritten as soon as you attempt to reintegrate it into an existing RAID set.

What good is an NTFS-formatted disk on a server without a working Windows?? What are you really trying to do / which problem to solve?
SOH BG
Occasional Contributor

Yup. You got the point that the disk will be overwritten as soon as I put it back to the server with raid setting. I was being told to use a linux live cd and use linux fdisk command to format disk to NTFS. I am sorry that I cant review the purpose/reason. Thanks a lot for quick response.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Given that you've given us virtually no useful information to go on, then its difficult to say what will happen.

However, if we assume that you're talking about hard drives attached to a SmartArray controller, then you should be able to move them between controllers without losing any RAID settings.

You just need to be careful about what existing configuration is on the "other" server.

Cheers,

Rob