HPE EVA Storage

Any "Best Practice" on replacing MSA Switch?

squirrel_2
Regular Advisor

Any "Best Practice" on replacing MSA Switch?

Hi folks,

I have a Compaq MSA1000 (single controller, 5.20.B1500) with an old "MSA Fabric Switch 6" (101G12) which works fine.
But I recently acquired an actual "MSA SAN Switch 2/8" and I want to replace the old 6-port with this one.

Is there some kind of "Best Practice" document which contains a howto and information about traps?

I would guess that after replacing the switch all my volumes have different IDs.

Thanks for your help!
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: Any "Best Practice" on replacing MSA Switch?

Hello Ebbi,

just backup you zoning config and swap the switch. The IDs should be the same after the change.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
the old embedded SAN switch module is a Gadzoux one, which unfortunately is not compatible with the 2/8 which is Brocade. The new 2/8 has the snmp functionality, thus you can route the snmp traps to any SNMP management servers (e.g. OVO) to further process them to automize the trap handling...

the pain is one part of the reality
squirrel_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the info.

Since this is my private stuff, I don't use zoning or SNMP, just plain FC storage volumes.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

then this could be your inspiration:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00158095/c00158095.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Gadzoox and it did have SNMP support, too.

So you are not running a full-blown HPSIM environment at home to take care of all the goods? ;-)
squirrel_2
Regular Advisor

@IBaltay:
This is about replacing the hardware of a "MSA SAN Switch 2/8" switch.
My concerns are about any software problems when upgrading from an old "MSA Fabric Switch 6" to the new 8-port.

@Uwe Zessin:
I can manage it with Brain 2.1c - yet... :-)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

What servers are connected? Fortunately, most operating systems do not care about the fibre channel address. And any LUN addresses (provided by the MSA) or the file system metadata (if that is what you call an 'ID') are not affected.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

check this link you should get some details..

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751
squirrel_2
Regular Advisor

@Uwe Zessin:

- Sun Fire 280R
- rp5470
- rx5670
- Compaq EVO SFF (for management)