7160 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BA370 and HSG80

SOLVED
Go to solution
TMR_1

BA370 and HSG80

I've got BA370 box and HSG60 (without GLM) controller, and then bought SAN switch, 2x HSG80 and few spare BNIB ACS cards.

Now, the problem I am facing is that no one of HSGs seems to work. The "reset" button lights on, but the rest of LEDs not.

Documentation says it's a firmware card failure. I tried to swap four different versions of firmware cards from three independent sellers, but without success.

The console also does not response. (I triple-checked to have a right pinout ;-) )

So I guess the problem can be inside BA370 box, as it is the only part I haven't tried to replace (I have only one).

Another thing is that I have no cache nor PVA/EMU modules. I wanted to spend more money on them later, when I will be sure that the SAN works. Is this what caused my problems?

Does anybody know what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Tom
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The HSG60 modules are designed for a more modern M2100 enclosure. I don't know if they will work in the older BA370.

I know what ACS is, but never heard the term "BNIB". Are the cards labelled with the ACS version?

Not sure whether the HSGs will start without cache or PVA modules - the PVA is used to define the disk drive addresses (you can link up to 3 BA370 together).
TMR_1

The guy who gave it to me used BA370 and HSG60 together, but was not able to gave me the rest of cards/modules (I don't know, maybe he needed it for anything else).
But I kept HSG60 only as a spare (it has no GLM), and I am going to go with both HSG80s.

Regarding the BNIB.. I've got two ACS cards with the HSGs I bought, and then additionally ordered two ACS cards from ebay. I've got them "brand new in the box" with all the documentation and so on (small card, but quite big box, BTW ;) ). That's why I expect they should be OK.

So you suggest me to order PVA and cache modules? I haven't seen any "mandatory parts list" in documentation, but I thought PVA is "only" power verification :)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

According to the BA370 user's guide, PVA means "power verification and addressing".

It also says:
""Proper operation of an UltraSCSI subsystem requires an operational EMU and PVA in each enclosure. Also, communication links between EMUs are required in multiple enclosure configurations to ensure proper subsystem operation and error reporting.""
TMR_1

Ah, that's probably the one which I don't have :(
Well, I will order the rest and we'll see..

Thank you!
TMR_1

We've figured out the most probable reason of my problem.