Azadeh
Advisor

BC License ???

at this time I'm going to purchase one BC license For full backup
in EVA
we need Sanpshot of each Vdisk then we can present it to a backup server to
have a full backup
How about Diff backup or Incr. backup
how can I use BC lisence to get diff backup ?
Regards
15 REPLIES 15
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: BC License ???

The BC license doesn't matter for the type of backup.

You still either need to make a snapshot or snapclone to present to the backup server.

The real question you need to ask is if you need an unlimited BC license... or some capacity based license.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Azadeh
Advisor

Hi Steven
Can I present Replication Vdisk to my backup server ??? and use of them for backup ?
Then there is no need to purchase BC license ?
Regards
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi
As Steven said it does not matter what kind of backup etc you wish to do.
To create ANY snapshot, snapclone or mirrorclone on an EVA you NEED a BC licence. You now need to decide if you buy an unlimited or capacity limited licence.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

"how can I use BC lisence to get diff backup ?"

Short answer, you can't. The EVA is not a file server, it is a disk server. As such, it has no knowledge of file systems; certainly no knowledge of whether a file is tagged for backup or not.

Snapshot, snapclone, or mirrorclone, the resulting volume is an image of the original at the time of the replication. It's up to the operating system and/or the backup software to determine what files need to be backed up.

Note that if the backup software applies some sort of indicator on files on the replicated volume, those indicators do NOT pass through to the original volume.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Azadeh
Advisor

Hi Sheldon
If I want to have Diff backup, than I have to get a mirrorclone and then by backup software, I can get diff or inc. backup
and If I get snapclone, then I can get Fullbackup ... because the connection between the snapclone Vdisk and its parent is terminated .
Is it correct ?
Regards
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

No. Your backup software can do anything regardless of snapshot, snapclone, or mirrorclone. All are simply different *methods* of obtaining a COMPLETE point-in-time copy of the original LUN.
Your backup software could perform full, differential, or incremental from any of the three.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Azadeh
Advisor

Thanks ...
But Can I present Replication Vdisk to my backup server ??? and use of them for backup ?
Then there is no need to purchase BC license ?
Regards
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
No, see my answer posted earlier.
You need a BC licence...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Azadeh
Advisor

Whats the differences between presenting the original Vdisk to the backup server and using BC license (unless the load on the EVA)?
Regards