HPE EVA Storage

Backup problem with SAN Connected Host

Pawan Rawat_1
Frequent Advisor

Backup problem with SAN Connected Host

Hi,

We have EVA6000,2 SAN Switches,windows and hp ux server connected to SAN switches.Tape library msl 6030 with 2 NSR Card is connected to SAN Switches.
For the last few days,we are facing some problem with Backup from DP.
When a particular hp ux server backup run simultaneously with any windows server ,one of these backup fail,log says incorrect media.same problem with new media.DP people says it might be san config problem.
Yes there was some changes in san .We configured zoning for some of windows client on SAN Switch,but why it is affecting one particular hp ux server backup when run parallel with windows client backup

I am really new to SAN Storage so please help me

Thanks
Pawan
5 REPLIES 5
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Re: Backup problem with SAN Connected Host

Hi,

This could be due to RSM polling the tape drives from the Windows Host and hence killing the backup jobs which is being run bu the HP UX host. I would suggest you to check for RSM service on all the Windows 2003 Hosts on your fabric and ensure that it is disabled. Here are the steps to do so.

Steps to Disable Polling:-

We need to disable the RSM service on all the Windows Hosts. If it is already disabled, enable and disable it again. Here are the steps to do so:-

a) Click Start, type services.msc, and then click OK.
b) In the right pane, double-click Removable Storage.
c) In the Startup typelist, click Manual, and then click Apply.
d) Click Start, and then click Stop.
e) In the Startup typelist, click Disabled, and then click OK.

Once this is done, here are the steps which are required to be performed on all the Windows Servers:-

1- Download the attached AutoRun.txt file.
2- Right click on this file and rename it to AutoRun.reg
3- Double click on AutoRun.reg and then click on Yes to add this to the registry.

This update will require a restart to take effect. You do not have to restart the servers immediately, you can do it when you can plan a reboot.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"We configured zoning for some of windows client on SAN Switch,but why it is affecting one particular hp ux server backup when run parallel with windows client backup
"

How did you configure your zoning?

Do you have 1 zone per server that needs access to the tape library?
or
Do you have 1 zone with all the servers that need access to the Tape library?
or
What do you have?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Pawan Rawat_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunny/Steven

Yes we have disabled RSM Polling in registry.It was already disabled in service mmc.Though we need to take reboot of these servers.

As per san zoning,we have zone for each hpux client with nsr card of library separately.
We did the same thing recently for some of windows client.
Steve can you give me some SAN Zoning document,SAN Zoning was done by HP and I am really new to SAN Concept I want to know why we do zoning,what is good practice for tape library usage in SAN Environment with hp ux and windows client

Thanks
Pawan
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Hi Pawan,

The basic idea of having zoning is to have a Single Initiator in every zone. This is to ensure that there is no cross traffic collision..

Here is the link to the SAN design guide.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf

Here is the link to EBS Design guide which gives you an insight on configuring Backup devices on SAN:-

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00775232/c00775232.pdf

Regards,
Sunny

Rate Solutions with points..
Pawan Rawat_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunny,

Thank you for these pdf

We have disable rsm service in windows server and device locking configured in DP
things are under observation

Thanks
Pawan