1751824 Members
4981 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Best, or Most Recommended, General Host Based Migration Tools

Michael Santini

Best, or Most Recommended, General Host Based Migration Tools

Hello,

I am looking to get some ideas, and perhaps some recommendations, on general Host based migration tools involving moving from one Storage Array to another. Hosts types I'm interested in are Windows, Linux, HP-UX, AIX and Windows. Arrays are various, could be from HP, Hitachi, EMC, etc. This is why I'm interested in general host based tools.

I know I can use LVM or VxVM if that has been setup or installed, but I don't want to fully rely on that in case they are not used.

I guess I'm looking for a list, recommendations, opinions on what can be installed on each type of hosts that we all may come in contact with. These must be 3rd party tools that don't depend on what storage array it is attached to.

Windows? What should we use? Robocopy?

Linux?

HP-UX?

etc...

Is there a software package that can be installed, used to migrate, then uninstalled?

I know this may be subjective and a lot of answers may come from this, but this is what I'm looking for - a good list of recommended tools that can be used for migrations, regardless of array, configurations, etc.

Thanks in advance.

-
1 REPLY 1
Michael Santini

Re: Best, or Most Recommended, General Host Based Migration Tools

So no one has any suggestions?

OK - I'll start it off.

Anyone have any experience with HP Softek's TDMF tool? Looks promising for all flavors of Unix. Pros / Cons?

Anything similar to TDMF for Win Boxes?