1751898 Members
5190 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bootenv OSLoader is inconsistent

Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Bootenv OSLoader is inconsistent

Got the subject message while attempting to upgrade firmware on a couple of Brocade 3900s from 4.4.2a to 5.1.0 (interim upgrade to 5.3.2c). I didn't have time to try my one thought so thought I'd see if anyone here knew how to get it working before we tackle it again next week.

The printenv when I interrupted the boot sequence showed something like this:

AutoLoad=yes
ENET_MAC=##########
InitTest=MEM()
LoadIdentifiers=Fabric Operating System;Fabric Operating System
OSBooted=MEM()0xF0800000
OSLoadOptions=
OSLoader=MEM()0xF0800000
OSRootPartition=hda2;hda1
SkipWatchdog=yes

Our other switches that we upgraded looked like:

AutoLoad=yes
ENET_MAC=##########
InitTest=MEM()
LoadIdentifiers=Fabric Operating System;Fabric Operating System
OSBooted=MEM()0xF0800000
OSLoadOptions=quiet;quiet
OSLoader=MEM()0xF0800000;MEM()0xF0000000
OSRootPartition=hda2;hda1
SkipWatchdog=yes

I was thinking if I did the following, it might take care of it:

setenv OSLoader=MEM()0xF0800000;MEM()0xF0000000

firmwareshow indicates both partitions exist and are at the same version so it seems like maybe the OSLoader bootenv parameter just wasn't set on these switches to use the second partition if it ever needed to.

Any knowledgeable input is appreciated.
--
Jeff Traigle
3 REPLIES 3
TechHelp24
Frequent Advisor

The bootenv is ok. In order to Upgrade from Old FOS 4.4 to 5.x.x, you need first to Upgrade to any Intermediate Rel. 5.0.x and then to 5.1.x or higher.
Upgrade from 4.4.x to 5.1.x is not allowed.

For more details, show here, or refer the Release Notes.

http://community.brocade.com/home/docs/DOC-1642
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

I don't see any release notes on Brocade's site for the Fabric OS. According to the Admin Guide for v5.1.0, however, the upgrade from v4.4.0 is supported. From page 113:

2. Establish a telnet session and log in as admin. Enter the firmwareShow command to verify the current version of Fabric OS. Brocade does not support upgrades from more than two previous releases. For example, upgrading from Fabric OS v4.4.0 to v5.1.x is supported, but upgrading from Fabric OS v4.2.0 or a previous release directly to v5.1.x is not.
--
Jeff Traigle
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Tried a couple of different intermediate firmware images that should have worked also, but they failed with the same error. These are Brocade-branded switches and HP's firmware images. Our best guess is that HP included code in the image to check for a supported firmware version installed on the switch prior to performing the upgrade. The last version of 4.4.x HP supported seems to be 4.4.0f. We're replacing with HP-branded switches to get to 5.3.2c.
--
Jeff Traigle