108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch in C7000 Enclosure and EVA Conection

SOLVED
Go to solution
DavidEladio
Advisor

Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch in C7000 Enclosure and EVA Conection

Hi, i'm an absolutly newby in all this and after many surveys i decided to ask my doubts to solve them 'cause i found it impossible for me to solve it in my own...

as far as i got i have conected the SAN Switch in the c7000 enclosure to the SAN switches, all lights are green buuuuuuut when i'm going to configure the san sitches and it 'looks for' the established connections to be confighured it doesn't detect anything incoming from the enclosure... ┬┐Do i need to enable anything else?

If i run islshow in the san enclosure switches i get

17 ->
18 ->

please, every help will be very wellcomed... i'm getting desperated with this...

Thank you very much in advance to all you ;)
22 REPLIES 22
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I gather the C7000 switches are brocade, but what are you connecting them too. Check the port speeds are set to either 4G or auto. Verify that the remote switch can support isl.
DavidEladio
Advisor

The ports are set to 8GB (the switches are licensed to). And i don't know how to check the ISL capability... i need the remote switches to stablish de conection before i configure them caue they can only configure detected connections....

DavidEladio
Advisor

I have 4 Brocade FC Switches in two C7000 enclosures.

Enclosure 1
Switch 13
Switch 14

Enclosure 2
Switch 23
Switch 24

Connected to two remote brocade san switches in a different rack and linked by Fiber.

Rack 2
Switch 81
Switch 91

The interconnections are:

13(port 17) -> 81
13(port 18) -> 91
14(port 17) -> 81
14(port 18) -> 91
23(port 17) -> 81
23(port 18) -> 91
24(port 17) -> 81
24(port 18) -> 91

The remtoe switches (81 and 91) are also connected to two array controllers, a SAN and a management server (windows 2003).

81 -> controller 1
81 -> controller 2
81 -> SAN
81 -> Server

91 -> controller 1
91 -> controller 2
91 -> SAN
91 -> Server

i open a web explorer and go to 10.41.35.81 and get to the management web console, i click in 'configure' and if i select 1 HBA (the server) and 3 ports for storage it recognices all right that four connections and ignore the ones coming from the san switches in the blade enclosures...

as i said, it ignores them but all the lights are green (and blinking slowly).

Please, ask me for all the information you need, i need to get this done and start to feel desperated....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

PS: it's my first experience with all this and the documentation i found didn't help me a lot... :(
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> blinking slowly

A segmented fabric - the switches cannot merge for _some_ reason (maybe duplicate domain IDs? - run the 'switchshow' command and look for "switchDomain:" - each switch in a fabric must have a unique value).

> 17 ->

Can you copy the full text?
DavidEladio
Advisor

hi there, first of all thank you very much for your interest.

I have prepared some text files with the configuration of the switches so you can see it by yourself. Their names refer to the command (isslshow.txt shows the output of performing islshow comand in the switch).

if you see that it's a mess trying to fix it after several wrong steps and maybe it's easier to reset all them to their original configuration and then confg them i'd also like you to tell me how to reset them 'cause i didn't found that information anywhere....

Thank yuo again, and hope you'll be abl├Г┬▒e to tell me something with this information i give now...

BEST REGARDS!
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

The way I read what you have done, is that you have cross connected your switches. In a Fibre Channel world you have redundant and independant fabrics between your hosts and your storage.
You should have connections:
13(port 17) -> 81
13(port 18) -> 81
14(port 17) -> 91
14(port 18) -> 91
23(port 17) -> 81
23(port 18) -> 81
24(port 17) -> 91
24(port 18) -> 91

If you have trunking licences on all your switches then the 2 ISLs from each blade switch (eg 13(port 17) and 13(port 18) will form a trunk to give you increased bandwidth.
Perhaps it would be better to start by only connecting one ISL from each blade switch to the remote switch, and then see how you go.

Is 81 and 91 the domain ID's for the remote switches?.

DavidEladio
Advisor

No, they are not, 81 and 91 are the last octet of their ip address. Their ID's are 1 in both cases.
DavidEladio
Advisor

i connect only port 17 in the first blade san switch (13) to the remote san switch and the light's still blinking in green... i try to config the remote san switch and select 2 HBA and 3 Storage ports... and it detects conection in all the ports except the one coming from the blade san switch... which is represented by a blue dotted line, it├В┬┤s mostly like if the blade san switch is not sending info... but switchenable has been run... ├В┬┐Do i need to do anything else in that blade san switch to enable it and detect its connection in teh remote san switch???

THANK YOU!!!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

David, you cannot merge two switches with the same domain ID! You have to take one offline with the "switchdisable" command and use the "configure" command to change the domain ID. Put the switch online with "switchenable".