1751972 Members
5233 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch

G├╢ran Lundin

Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch

Hi!
i have problem with a Brocade 4Gb SAN Switch for HP c-Class BladeSystem. It seems that i can not change port 1 from "persistent disabled" to "persitent enabled".

SANSWBL04A:admin> portcfgpersistentenable 1
portcfgpersistentenable failed. Operation not supported

does anyone have any idea?

regards,
G├╢ran

9 REPLIES 9
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

One reason could be that you have ASM enabled
Enter the "ficoncupshow modereg" command.
If ASM = 1 you cannot use the "portCfgPersistentEnable" command.

You can either switch ASM to off "ficoncupset modereg asm 1" or use the "portEnable" command".

Is this your problem?

Another thing is that you can only configure ports that have an active component (HBA, Storage port, Switch port) attached!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
G├╢ran Lundin

The ASM is disabled and when i issue the command PORTENABLE 1 i get:

"portEnable failed. Possible reasons are:
Switch may be disabled, POD license is NOT installed, slot is off or port is per
sistently disabled"

There is a blade server HBA attached to this port so i guess it could be a HBA malfunction then?

regards,
G├Г┬╢ran
Arunkumar.B
Trusted Contributor

HI Goran,

Its saying that POD License is not installed(Port on Demand).If it is Silkworm 200E by default from ports 0-7 are enabled.To enable ports 8-11 install POD license need to be installed.Further to enable ports 12-15 you need to install one more POD license.

Apart from that pls post the output of errdump,switchshow,licenseshow,portcfgshow & portlogdump.

Cheers
Arunkumar.B

Necessity breaks iron
Timothy Cusson
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar problem. HP c-Class, two Brocade 4/24 switches FW 5.2.0a. Only ports 7, 15 and 16 work on both switches? I get the same "portcfgpersistentenable failed. Operation not supported" on the other 13 ports. I can portcfgpersistentdisable 7, it's works, the Qlogic HBA is no longer seen on a switchshow, then I can portcfgpersistentenable 7, and the HBA is seen again on the switch.

I've attached various CLI outputs, and a partial SupportShow. The portcfgshow shows 0,7,15 through 23 are enabled. How to I enable all the ports?

Thanks for yout help
Ronald Hendriks
Valued Contributor

I am having the same problem.

Tried AO FW 1.30, 2.01, 2.02 and 2.04
and also FOS 5.0.5c, 5.2.1b, 5.3.0 and 5.3.0b

all no go.

Also, my switch is not correctly identified by the AO..

are there any suggestions?

Ronald
Keep things simple
Charles A Weber

Funny I just added a coule of blades and started trying to map them on our eva and have the same POD license errors.
Stig Jarle Fjeldbo

Hi, I had the same problems described in this thread with our c-class Blade Systems.

I solved the problem by moving the HBA mezzanine card from slot 2 to slot 1 inside the blades.

After I moved the card, I logged into the Brocade 4Gb SAN Switches and ran the portenable command on all the affected blades.

(I also had the license problem described in this thread, but this can easily be fixed through the gui or cli.)

Hope this helps.

- Stig
Tony Dolphin

I have had similar problems with IBM blade center. I issued portcfgpersistentenable to the NPORTs and this got me out of the problem but.... it is not persistent. Every time you reboot the switch you have to re-issue the portcfgpersistentenable commands. I have tried this at different firmware levels and in both AG and Native mode - any ideas?
Jaime Te_2
Occasional Visitor

The Brocade 4GB SAN switch for HP C class uses dynamic POD. The initial license allows you to use 12 out of 24 ports. Sometimes ports that are not mapped to FC mezzanine cards grabs a license and you will end up with the message "portCfgPersistentEnable is successful. But the port cannot be enabled. Check if switch is disabled or slot is off" when you try to enable it.

Here is what I did in my case:

cClass_A:> licenseport --show

24 ports are available in this switch

No POD licenses are installed

Dynamic POD method is in use

12 port assignments are provisioned for use in this switch:

12 port assignments are provisioned by the base switch license

* 6 port assignments are added if the first POD license is installed

* 6 more assignments are added if the second POD license is installed

12 ports are assigned to installed licenses:

12 ports are assigned to the base switch license

Ports assigned to the base switch license:

0*, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7*, 8, 11*, 12*, 17, 18

Ports assigned to the first POD license:

None

Ports assigned to the second POD license:

None

Ports not assigned to a license:

6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Note that port 0 grabbed the license instead of port 6 (which is mapped to one of the mezzanine card. As far as I know, port 0 is never mapped to a mezzanine card).

I released the license on port 0 using:
LicensePort -release 0 and then portenable 6 and everything works!