1753557 Members
5668 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000, VC-FC, Brocade Switches and EVA4400 issues

Oberon
Advisor

C7000, VC-FC, Brocade Switches and EVA4400 issues

I have a new installation of an EVA4400 with a C7000 and interconnect modules of a VC-FC and 2 Brocade 4/12 switches.

I have configured a SAN Fabric in VCM and connected the switches and EVA4400 together with mixed results.

My issue is that some of the blades do not show an Uplink Port and are NOT-LOGGED-IN in the VCM VC Bay console but are recognized in the OA as OK. They are connected to the same interconnect Bays as the good ones which are fully seen and are OK in the VC and Switch consoles. They are also using the same Server Profiles for VC and Fabric (firmware is the same also + latest of everything). They are not showing up in the switches port listings also. Ones is a HP-UX system and I have other UX systems that are OK, some are Windows systems.

Any ideas or suggestions to fix it?

10 REPLIES 10
Oberon
Advisor

A little more clarification here:-

1) The server port mappings all show up as OK and connected in the OA Interconnect Bay view for the 4Gb VC-FC module so I believe that the connections from the blades to the VC-FC unit are OK.

2) The Brocade switch has one connection to the VC-FC via the VC-FC's Port 1 and all servers are linked to Port 1.

3) 9 Servers are connected to VC-FC and OK but only 6 show up as Connected in the VCM and 3 are not (NOT-LOGGED-IN).

Any thoughts?
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

do you see the WWPNs of the blades in the switchs zone admin behind port 1?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Hello,

I've seen something similar once.

If the HBA is not logging into the fabric, try going to the HBA bios, and do a LUN scan (e.g. as if you were setting up boot from san)

Might be a HBA firmware issue.

Which version are you running - OA, VC and HBA.

Regards,
shIVinator.
Valued Contributor

Ran into this last week. The ports were not showing up as NPIV port on the Brocade switches. The fix was to upgrade the VC-FC firmware, also make sure that the ports on the brocade switch are set for NPIV.

Duane
Oberon
Advisor

Answers:-

1) Do I see the WWW in the switch - NO
2) OA, VC-FC firmware are 2.51, 1.3 which I believe is the latest.
3) The QMH2462 adapter BIOS is 1.26 (was set to P2P but tried Loop then P2P in the BIOS.

Thanks all
Oberon
Advisor

Also - yes ports are set to NPIV - have 6 systems that are working through them so they should support these other 3 systems.
hpite
Frequent Advisor

Sounds puzzling...

Here's some ideas:
1. woudl it be possible to configure the other 3 that do not login to the fabric to your VC-FC port2 and connect that to the switch (and enable NPIV on that port too)?

Just for a test. Just wondering if there's a limit on the number of ports being virtualised.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi,

@ Duane

Nice one... but in this case 6 hosts are working. Strange. I would recommend to update all components to the last firmware. Seems to be a bug.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Oberon
Advisor

Thanks for the suggestions - I believe that the firmware revisions are at the latest revs so I will enable the second port and direct them through that as per your suggestions.

Thanks